1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watchmen: Eh.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was just popping them off the top of my head.
    I enjoyed 'The X-Men' movies, even the third.
    I didn't see 'The Punisher.'
    The first 'Blade' was fun. The other two stunk.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You should be very happy about that. The Punisher was awful.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I liked Sin City much, much better.
    And there is nudity, in a cgi my-parts-are-blue kind of way that ain't a bit sexy.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Damn, I guess I'm the only person who enjoyed Daredevil.

5. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I liked Daredevil. But Elektra was a piece of shit.

And Catwoman ... Worst. Comic. Book. Movie. Ever.

But I haven't seen the "new" Punisher (and probably won't), so the title could be up for grabs.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I thought the FF movies were OK -- not really good, but not really awful.

They did botch the first one by turning Dr. Doom into a spurned boyfriend of Sue Storm, and a frustrated frat rival of Reed Richards.

In the comics, Victor von Doom was really a scary guy -- a European monarch/despot/dictator/genius bent on world domination. He wasn't a grown-up version of Potsie Webber.

The superhero movies that fail do so in large part because they trivialize the supervillains. The Superman movies turned Lex Luthor from a twisted Einstein into a smarmy real-estate swindler.

7. outofplace

Agreed. I don't think the Dr. Doom in the Fantastic Four movies was a terrible character. He just doesn't come close to what was written in the comics.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Lex Luthor has undergone man, many changes in his decades in comics. Twisted Einstein . . . then John Byrne turned him into an evil tycoon, etc.

Thought Gene Hackman's portrayal fit right in with the vibe of those films.

Some villains have an origin story that is compelling and requires almost no tweaking to be interesting to a mass audience. Like Magneto, Doctor Doom is one of those. The first FF movie was completely ruined when they took a seminal Marvel villain and turned him into a weenie.

9. outofplace

Sometimes with these movies you have to just toss out the "real" character and experience the story on its own merits. That is the only way to enjoy either Fantasic Foru movie.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not the only way, OOP.

You can also just stare at Ms. Alba the whole time.

11. outofplace

True, but the hair is bad enough to be distracting. I'd much rather see her scenes in Sin City.

Eyes to the stage, pilgrim. She's just warming up.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I thought the trailers for this looked really good and all my geek friends on and off the board say the graphic novel is amazing, so I bought the novel this afternoon.

I don't think I've bought something in a comic book store since I bought From Hell six years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted