1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watchmen: Eh.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Feb 19, 2009.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Saw it this week...all 2:40something hours of it. Goes on longer than a Bob Corker soundbite.

Frankly, I didn't much care for it. But then again, I don't have acne and do have sexual relations, so I guess I'm not the target audience. But then again, I wasn't the target audience for Iron Man nor Wanted and loved them both.

And yes, I have read the book. And yes, the book is much better than the movie.

Hate it for Zack Snyder who I know on a personal level, and he really put his heart and soul in this movie.

2. Two million comic geeks just picked up axes and headed to Tennessee and don't know why.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

LOL

Especially since I'm in LA!

4. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The book was perfect yet complex. I don't see how anyone could successfully adapt it into a somewhat decent film.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I just hope there's some CGI in it. We don't get enough of that stuff nowadays.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Book was excellent on how it deconstructed costumed heroes.

Not a whole lot of action, through.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

The world will look up and shout, "Entertain us!" And I'll whisper, "No."

8. Hiro

Hiro Member

I would have loved to see Watchmen as a 12-part one-hour one-shot HBO series.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Ditto what Hiro said.

I love the graphic novel (shocking, I know. I also have sexual relations on occasion, and no acne problems!). I have never seen how it could possibly be anything but a five or six-hour film. Don't edit it to 2:40. Split it in two, like Kill Bill, and like the final Harry Potter will be.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I will judge for myself.

11. n8wilk

n8wilk Guest

To be honest, I was underwhelmed by the graphic novel. I thought it started great then fizzled out toward the end. I think I'll wait to see the movie at home, especially if it's 2:40.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

As far as endings go, Watchmen could have been written by Stephen King. You spend all those pages developing a great story and characters . . . and at the end, it's a damn spider. Or the mystical "Hand of God."

I've wondered how Watchmen's comic book climax/ending would work with a mass audience. My guess is "Not very well."

Draft saved Draft deleted