1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watching "The Deer Hunter" on Encore right now . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The Russian roulette scene has to be the most intense movie scene I've ever witnessed.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The Pennsylvania scenes are filmed in Mingo Junction, Ohio, a stone's throw from my hometown, and the home of my former favorite bookie joint. I was supposed to work in the steel mill there one summer, and make a few grand working the 7 to 7 shift in the brickyard, instead I strung games for the daily at $20 a pop. And thus, my life...

3. I've watched the Deer Hunter twice and never liked it.
    I thought it was borderline silly. Esepciall the Vietnam scenes where they all meet.

BTW: Many of the Pennsylvania scenes were filmed in Weirton, W.Va.

4. Dis is dis!

Anyway, in this discussion, I always remember what a Vietnam vet once told me -- that the Deer Hunter is about a war in Vietnam, but that Apocalypse Now is about The Vietnam War.

Glad someone mentioned "In Country." I'd like to propose "Gardens of Stone" and "Platoon."

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I never watched the Deer Hunter, but a portion was filled in my hometown of Youngstown, Ohio.

6. Stop_Pre

Stop_Pre New Member

I was in Vietnam a few months ago. One Vietnamese man who was in his teens during the war told me that "Platoon" is the most accurate movie from the Vietnamese perspective. I think he was referring mostly to the scene where the U.S. soldiers torch and pillage the village.

7. A very depressing movie, but some of the performances are amazing. ... Also, John Cazale, who was engaged to Meryl Streep during filming, died right after the film was made. Every time I watch it now I can't help but notice how sick and feeble he looks.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I liked Axel, the bartender. Great dialogue.

"Fuckin' A!"

The mountain scenes were filmed in the Cascades, in Washington.

So basically none of this movie was filmed in Pennsylvania.

The scene where they meet the returning vet with the 1,000-yard stare at the bar at the wedding is one of the movie's best. Nice foreshadowing.

9. It's as depressing a movie as Nebraska is an album.

As far as other Vietnam movies go, I've always liked Hamburger Hill.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

MI
    Mingo, Weirton, it's all gravy. They both have incredibly depressing landscapes.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

damn, i missed it. "deer hunter" NEVER FAILS to grab me. anyone know when it's on again?

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

- The Deer Hunter is good because it endeavors to depict what coming home is like, and how difficult the adjustment is.

- Apocalypse Now is good because it creates a mood, holds that mood, and thus nothing is implausible in it. I really like that movie.

- Platoon might be my favorite because I saw it when I was a young laddie of 11, and loved that it didn't add any strangeness to Vietnam; it simply told a story that frankly had a lot of realism.

- I really like Born on the Fourth of July (I know, I know . ."Tom Cruise sucks! He's BATSHIT CRAZY!!!!!!") Cruise was excellent, with an eye-opening performance. Back to what has been said about how what age we see a film may affect our reaction to it: I saw this one on my 15th birthday, and now watch it every year on my birthday. I love the Vietnam scenes, with the camera looking completely confused "Yes! . .Uh . .I see the guns!!" and the powerful performance of Cruise carrying the movie. He was absolutely robbed of an Oscar.

I read the book and obviously know the film took a few liberties with the plot, but it stands tall as an affecting film, about misplaced patriotism, tragedy and the attempt to come to terms with the cards life has dealt. Maybe I still see it through those young eyes, and I won't say it's the best. But it is the one that demands the most from me emotionally as a viewer.

Draft saved Draft deleted