1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Watching "Dazed and Confused" in its uncut entirety for the first time tonight

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

(Just never got around to seeing a movie a lot of my friends recommended highly)

And . . . . .

It's OK.

Has a few moments, but damn it drags. I guess if I were into the whole "Haze the FRESHMEN!!!" stuff, it would be uproariously funny. And if I wasn't aware of what 1970s haircuts and fashions looked like, it might be funnier. Stoner stuff, I can take it or leave it.

Not the film that Fast Times at Ridgemont High or American Graffiti (a movie it seems to be trying to ape, as the director waxes nostalgic) were, for my money. Aside from the music and cars, it could have taken place in any era; it doesn't give that same "snapshot" vibe of an American Graffiti.

I know it has a lot of fans here. Maybe I need to see it again? Or maybe I needed to see it when I was 18 and it was in theaters.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Did you go to a public high school? That usually helps the appreciation of it.

I don't love the movie as a whole, but there are a lot of scenes that are simply outstanding.

And it's still McConaughey's best performance.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The latter, Piotr. It's not as funny as it was.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Wow . . .thought I'd get killed for this one.

??? 8) ??? 8)

I was a Catholic school boy. I did like the poltline about the football players having to sign that agreement. When I was a skinny and slow dork (as opposed to the chubby and slow dork I am now) in high school, our football captains made this big deal about a preseason team meeting where we all agreed to not drink, etc. That weekend, I saw our captains all pounding Schnapps and smoking pot at the beach, laughing about it.

We went 2-6-2 that year.

The main captain showed up to the reunion a decade later drunk as can be, stumbling and slurring, muttering something about hoping he didn't have to give up the cocaine in his hotel room as the cops moved in on him.

5. digger

digger New Member

Re: Watching "Dazed and Confused" in its uncut entirety for the first time tonig

One of my favorite movies. There just seems to be a lot in it that is similar to my life in high school at that time. (the party was a big part of it - we had a spot in our town where the same type of thing happened.)

I have to say, though, the music wasn't at all what I was listening to at the time (mostly bruce, but then I'm from Jersey).

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've never even seen the flick.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I saw it last year with a friend (the first time we both had seen it). Neither one of us liked it. I didn't care about or like any of the characters. I went to public school and that didn't make a difference for me.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I too was a Catholic school boy, but I love Dazed and Confused.

"Say man ... you gotta joint?"

"Uhhh, no not on me man."

"It be a lot cooler if you did."

If you really want to get the full effect of Dazed, play a drinking game. You'll be shitfaced by the end and you'll appreciate it more.

9. One of my 20 favorites.

I see a lot of myself in Mitch. Trying to be cool and succeeding in some ways, failing in others.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Without question, it is Matthew McConuaghy's finest moment. He steals that movie like few other characters in any other movie have.

I've always liked the movie, but it IS slow, especially the first act.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Re: Watching "Dazed and Confused" in its uncut entirety for the first time tonig

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. I keep getting older; the girls stay the same age.

Draft saved Draft deleted