1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Aug 2, 2006.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm in the very early stages of possibly being considered/considering a job for the Washington Times. I knew it was a conservative paper, but I didn't realize until today its connections to the Moonies. Yeah, I know...I suck.

Question, then, is whether working here would negatively affect me the rest of my career, as one friend advised, or whether the paper is large enough now and far enough removed from those days that it doesn't much matter.

I'm not crazy about the paper's conservative bent, but I've worked for conservative papers before, and I have this fleeting hope that perhaps a larger one wouldn't let the conservatism filter through to the editorial content.

OK, at least not much.

Anyway...thoughts?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It is my understanding that, while the news side makes no attempts to dispell the belief that it is a mouthpiece for the right-wing, the sports side is pretty much left alone. Plenty of good people have worked, and continue to work, in the Wash Times sports department.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good paper, good people, good place. Go for it, moondog!

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Hmm...might shoulda mentioned that the job would be on the news side...

5. I don't think you've got a problem here. Certainly, this paper has more credibility these days than the New York Times does. (Only partially kidding about that.)

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I don't think the politics are so much of an issue...I would be more worried about the long term viability of the paper. It's a huge money loser. I just wonder how long the church will continue absorbing all that red ink. On the other hand, you get in to an amazing news town and you're working for a paper that's connected. If you kick ass for a few years, you'll have some nice clips if the ship sinks.

7. Editude

Editude Active Member

I had a former colleague work here, and he has gone on to some big shops. Do good work and you'll be able to use if for what it's worth to both sides.

8. Trucha

Trucha Member

Neo-cons don't like the NYT so it doesn't have credibility??? Gimme a break.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, it's not as if the NYT has had problems with writers fabricating stories or anything.

10. You'd think neo-cons would adore any newspaper that fabricated stories.

11. Sunday circ is 39K, terrible website, doesn't pay well (considering the DC area cost of living)

big-city paper in name only

good luck...

12. I take it you work at a daily right now or have been in the business for a few years? I applied there and was again told I have no where near the experience they needed and I have been at my weekly for over a year.

If you don't want the job than I will take it! A daily newspaper in a major city with a circ over 250,000 and you have to think for more than a minute about taking the job? Come on now.

Draft saved Draft deleted