1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Times publishes full page of "citizen journalism" stories

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Apr 13, 2009.

1. I'm looking forward to the days of Citizen Bypass Surgery myself.

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

Citizen Bypass Surgery - that's hilarious.

But seriously... it's nice they're giving the random citizen journalists a rulebook (with guidelines, etc), but who from the WT is going to make time to vet the "citizens" for conflict of interest? And who's going to fact-check their stuff to ensure accuracy? Wouldn't it be faster and more efficient just to put a real journalist on the story?

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

NO FAIR!!!! He's using logic in his argument!!! [/costcuttingbeancounters]

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of all the papers in the country that could do this, doesn't the Times make about the least sense of all of them? From what I gather, it's almost exclusively targeted at inside-the-Beltway types, which is why it doesn't cover things like prep sports.

If you're looking for church/charity/suburban news, the Times is about the last place I'd recommend. (And not just for the obvious reasons.)

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

cocksucker.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

'상머저리' 니 '치사한 녀석

7. I wouldn't be able to read an entire story, not to mention a whole page of them. But I wonder if I'm just being a snob. Does the public care who wrote what they're reading? I want to hope so.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Nobody cares about the byline. Everybody cares -- or should care -- about what follows. Even though readers will never admit it, they'll notice a decline in quality.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Just noticed that comments "are temporarily unavailable for this story." Too bad. Perhaps they know what those comments might say.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

There will be no readers who have to admit it. They won't purchase this shit. Free citizen journalism will not work.

Draft saved Draft deleted