1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington [racial slurs] name change/local high schools

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by superhater, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The Liberal* (Kan.) High School girls’
    basketball and other teams are often referred to as the “Liberal Lady Redskins.”

*The politics in the city usually contradict its name.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

This is currently the lede image on ESPN.com.

I can't tell if the photo is edited to be pixellated or that's the font/style the protesters are going for with the Tecmo Bowl-style banner.

[​IMG]

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That’s intentional. Probably turned the logo 8-bit after they started designing the banner with the Press Start typeface.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Who own da Chiefs?

maumann, Liut, HanSenSE and 1 other person like this.
  5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Thank you.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Owns! Owns!

maumann, Liut, HanSenSE and 1 other person like this.
  7. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

My high school (run by Benedictine monks) just announced they were going to ditch Rebels. Fans used to wave confederate flags, and there was a giant Beauregard mural on the gym that was ditched in the early 90s. They sent out one email announcing they were changing, then a couple weeks later sent out a follow-up addressing the large number of responses they got (positive & negative). It including info I didn't know previously, that the nickname was originally Saints and the student council changed it in the 60s after prompting from a Civil War-loving history teacher. The email went out of its way to pin the blame there without addressing the fact that administration/the monks would've had to approve the change and a giant mural in the gym.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Red Mesa High School on the Navajo Rez near the Four Corners continues to use Redskins as their mascot, which I find interesting.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

chefs.jpeg chef-hat.jpeg
    New logo for Mahomes' team.

garrow, HanSenSE and Baron Scicluna like this.
  10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Driven past it many times. That's the way we went from our home in California to my grandparents' farm in southwestern Colorado for summer vacation every year.

Washington Post did a piece about Red Mesa in 2014.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...fc773a-592b-11e4-8264-deed989ae9a2_story.html

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

California outlawed "Redskins" as a nickname a few years ago. Affected only four schools: Gustine (now Reds), Tulare (The Tribe), Chowchilla (Tribe) and Calaveras (no mascot, but keeping a drawing of an Indian in full headdress as its logo).

Other high schools switching include Napa (from Indians to Grizzlies) and Sequoia (from Cherokees to Ravens).

maumann likes this.
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Colorado has about 20 schools with Native American-related nicknames.

Indians: 8
    Reds: 1
    Redskins: 1
    Savages: 1
    Warriors: 5

Draft saved Draft deleted