1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post wins 6 Pulitzers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Apr 7, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'd like to nominate Alma for the Pulitzer for that line.
    Excellent, excellent work.

2. Hustle

Hustle Guest

The one piece I'll always remember from Weingarten was his trip to End-of-the-Earth, Alaska in the dead of winter. It was supposed to be a humor piece, but turned into something a lot darker.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/26/AR2005042601144.html

EDIT to add that FishbowlDC says Weingarten may take the buyout.

3. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I would agree with what Weingarten said in his online chat: the Great Zucchini piece was better.

4. At what point in American history would more people NOT have recognized a pop culture figure than a classical musician?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The violinist piece was a good old-fashioned newspaper stunt, and I don't say that to criticize. Stunts are an inescapable part of U.S. newspaper history, some with notable results (Dr. Livingstone, I presume). Joseph Pulitzer paid for plenty of 'em in his time.
    As an artificial device to prove a point, Weingarten's stunt worked well. It doesn't hurt he's an excellent writer, either.

6. The Great Zucchini was better, I agree. But that's saying something about The Great Zucchini.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The guy who knew his work didn't recognize him. But he recognized the talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted