1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post wins 6 Pulitzers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Apr 7, 2008.

1. EE94

EE94 Guest

absolutely. I don't know who posted it, but thank you.

was worth the cost of the paper, though I read it on-line for free (and got to experience the video link)

(and the newspaper business is going tits-up why?)

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

God no, that would dilute the whole thing. Right now, it's kind of like the mythic Indiana state high school basketball tournament of old. Sometimes Concord (or Lawrence, Mass., or even a mid-major like Milwaukee) pulls one off. Good for them.
    And the Washington Post ought to get some love for being the smart, well-written and generally engaging newspaper that it is. The Times, for instance, would never have pulled off that violin story. Too stuffy. And, while a number of papers could have "broken" the Walter Reed story, the Post did it, and paired a fierce investigator like Dana Priest with a brilliant writer like Anne Hull, to elevate the thing to a whole brilliant 'nother level.

3. Actually, though, the Post made fantastic use of the web with that story - embedding short sections of violin-video at appropriate moments in the story. Really enhanced the reading experience. Most papers would have posted the video, in its entirety, in a sidebar or a pop-up, or wouldn't have posted it at all; we'd have been far worse off without it.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good point. I read it in the paper, but this kind of integration of text with videos and pictures is what the newspaper websites can and should be doing better than anyone else.

5. Jonesy --
    Lord, we have to hash this one out over several beers, perhaps hurling the last three at each other.
    There was no piece in any publication in the past 30 years that I hated with the white-hot hatred I felt for that Weingarten story. Fuck him and his violinist.
    And Michael -- Mark Feeney is probably one of the four or five smartest people in newspapers. His "Nixon At The Movies" is the essential text on Tricky in pop culture, and his photography criticism is said by people who know about such stuff -- of which I'm not one -- as being top of the line. He's also one of the country's premier obit writers. I really think you should probably know all this.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fenian must be a bluegrass fan.

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

I whole-heartedly agree - the video links worked perfectly - it was the perfect forum for that integration because you have to hear the music to get the story.
    extra video of an interview - or even a car crash or something titillating like that - can always be described with words.
    But you had to hear the violin played in teh Metro to fully get the story

While I was a bit flippant in my earlier post, I thought that whole project was brilliant

8. I am.
    But I am not a fan of snotty condescending newspaper articles that concern the superiority of the reporter's esthetic sensibilities over those of his fellow wage slaves in a fucking subway station. Fuck that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If it was Earl Scruggs on a banjo, you'd have loved the story.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I will ask this again, since nobody commented on it.

Whither John Romano's story? Any reasonable explanation for that omission?

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The judges didn't like it as much as the one they voted for?

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

Did the Pulitzer committee follow APSE's lead and put a member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on the judging panel?

Draft saved Draft deleted