1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post sports gig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Rookie23, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

From JournalismJobs:

Description:
    The Sports department is looking for a full-time night news aide.

Duties include: answering busy phones and helping callers with questions and fielding their comments; assisting the high school sports desk with box scores; writing sports briefs; assisting editors, reporters and columnists with research; and conducting general office duties such as distributing mail, photocopying dummies and filing media guides in our sports library.

Computer experience is necessary. Internet research experience is very helpful. Sports background not necessarily important, but an interest in sports is mandatory. Hours are 6 p.m.-2:30 a.m. and would include weekends. Days off are negotiable.

Please e-mail resume and cover letter to alvaradoj@washpost.com (NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE).

2. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

This may be a glamour sports clerk job but hell my resume is in....I'd get coffee for Wilbon.

3. Keystone

Keystone Member

They usually use part-timers from the local college papers for this sort of thing. You won't write very often and you will get yelled at by Thomas Boswell when you put him on hold. Still, it isn't a bad experience, and once in a rare while someone does work their way up the food chain (Steve Goff being the best example.) I wouldn't count on it, though.
    But if you're looking to make it a stop on the career ladder, it isn't a bad one. Stay a few years, get The Washington Post on your resume, and move on.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Keystone knows quite a bit about this gig.
    Say hello to Emilio for me.

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

And you've gotta love the hours. Makes my 4-12:30 look like a cakewalk. Although, I'm sure they make up for it with the pay.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Besides that, their office is only a block from where all the hookers in downtown hang out. And not the hookers that go to the Capitol Hill hotel rooms either.

7. JME

JME Member

This is extremely rare.

As clerk types of gigs go, though, this is a good one. Good people, good pay, good organization.

8. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

I love to write, but am getting desperate to get a full time job. This sounds good, but I hope they're willing to consider someone from out of state?

9. Kable

Kable Member

I hope so. Good luck man b/c I'm going for that job too.

10. boots

boots New Member

As hookers go, D.C. has a plethora of talent. A wide variety to choose from and I might add, getting a buff and wax before editing a story makes the day go by much faster. This job has the boots seal of approval with two legs up and two legs down.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ooooohhhh, where do we sign up? ::)

12. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

Who gives a shit if this job has the "boots seal of approval" haha. The gig is with the best paper in the country...the Washington post. Granted, that is simply one mans opinion, but you would have to be dumb as a bag of rocks to not realize this is an elite national newspaper. But since Boots gave it the thumbs up...I better apply:)

Draft saved Draft deleted