1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post offers view points on Vick in Black and White

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, Aug 22, 2007.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/21/AR2007082101977.html?hpid=topnews

Mr. Milloy(Black) looks for any opportunity to minimize Vick's culpability. Which seems to be the standard black point of view on the Vick topic

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/21/AR2007082102093.html?hpid=topnews
    Ms. Jenkins (White) puts Vick in the context of our collective humanity.

At least The Post if being fairly blatant about it's racial appeal, on-line, where the columnists pictures leave no doubt their POV.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ah, our own Bill Rhoden. You look for any excuse to post about race, don't you?

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's a seesaw or teeter-totter, with out both sides, neither can function. Just providing context.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Too bad that Mr. Vick didn't, instead, murder his ex-wife and a waiter. Everything would be just fine with the justice system, then.

Damn dogs!

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, is there any law that prohibits anyone from killing a dog and then dining on it, in the same manner as cattle or chickens?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Probably not.

7. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I guess that's a reasonable question (I don't know the answer) but that is just sick to think about. It still amazes me that anyone, white or black, can view Vick as a victim of anything other than his own ignorance.

8. It's also possible you totally ignored Wilbon's column because it doesn't fit your racist milieu.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yes, that is the "standard" black point of view. Wilbon's take the day before represented the "non-comforming" black point of view. Heyabbott, you are revolting.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It sickens you. Yet, there is nearly a whole continent where canine is acceptable as food source. But, to use that or any other moral euphemism to defend Michael Vick would be unenlightened and uncultivated (jingoistically-speaking).
    The more I read, the more opinions I digest, every columnist runs ashore when the rudimentary comparison is "canine-to-human."

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Having grown up on a farm with hundreds of cattle, and eating steak at least once a week in my childhood, I can say that animals that are raised to eventually be meat are treated much better than those dogs in Surry County, Va.

When the dogfighters decided the puppies weren't going to turn a profit they murdered them in some of the most cruel ways possible. When one of our calves was sickly and likely to never be financially worth the cost of raising we still nursed them to health the best we could, spending time bottle feeding and a lot of money on medicines. I can't imagine the thought of holding a calf's head in a bucket of water to drown it crossing the mind of any farmer or rancher I know.

Every creature on Earth has a purpose. The purpose of most domesticated live stock is to feed the good people of the world. The purpose of dogs and cats are to be compainions and pets.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Michael Vick is the scum of the earth and I hope he never sets foot on a NFL field ever again...

I must admit that I find it interesting that killing dogs is seen as far worse than domestic abuse, rape, drunk driving etc... I wish all of those crimes were treated the same by professional leagues...

Draft saved Draft deleted