1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post-ABC News presidential race poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. printdust

printdust New Member

Except when the Democrats are beating the incumbent.

But you have a point. Obama won this election on of the wave that came from Black September, two months before the election.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Mittens could be the first GOP nominee in my lifetime to win the nomination without needing the South.

He will be unbeatable in the West and the Northeast, will naturally win Michigan, and should outshine that beacon of charisma, Pawlenty, to pick off a few Midwestern states. The South, which would never vote for a Mormon, will be up for grabs between Newt and the tea party flavor of the month.

Romney will then nominate Rick Perry as VP to cover his southern flank in the general. Mitt could end up giving Obama a run for his money in the battleground states. At the same time, a lot of the 28-percenters could stay home. So lots of dynamics in play here.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Mitt can also win because he's got the one element in his corner than can beat the $1B that is funding the Obama campaign....

[​IMG]

Dead center on the Mormon business portfolio.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Black September, and Ms. Sarah . . .

5. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Don't forget that RoveCo. got a ton of anti-gay measures on ballots to help push conservatives to the polls.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When Harold Macmillan was named Prime Minister of Great Britain in the 1950s, somebody asked him what would guide his government.
    "Events, dear boy, events," Macmillan replied.
    So it is with the election. Stuff that hasn't happened yet, stuff no one has predicted or expected, will likely drive the 2012 election. So analyzing it now is a really useless venture, except to note that since more bad stuff happens than good stuff, events pose more of a risk to the incumbent than to his challengers.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Newt won't win a single state. I'd be stunned if he finished in the top 3 in any state.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gay marriage is most unpopular with African-American voters who voted against gay marriage, and against George Bush.

The large African American turnout in 2008 also helped anti-gay ballot initiatives. And helped Obama.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Newt might (should) be out before the first primary.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Palin is a novelty act. Few people take her seriously.

11. Mizzougrad96

Agree completely. I'll be a little surprised if he's still there at Christmas. At the latest, he'll be out as soon as he loses South Carolina or Florida, whichever is first.

12. Mizzougrad96

But those who take her seriously take her very seriously. I hope the poll is right. I always get nervous when people in Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina play such a prominent part in deciding who gets the nomination.

I think the first three primaries should be states where the candidates actually need to win if they're going to win the general election. Maybe Ohio, Florida and Pennsylvania?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.