1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington Post-ABC News presidential race poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Interesting stuff.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-loses-bin-laden-bounce-romney-on-the-move-among-gop-contenders/2011/06/06/AGT5wiKH_story.html?hpid=z1

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised.

2. Mizzougrad96

Romney and Obama deadlocked.

Palin almost no support from republicans.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Polls are pretty meaningless this far out.

Just ask Bush 41 about that.

4. Mizzougrad96

Well, obviously there's a lot of time between now and then, but to call the poll meaningless would be foolish.

I think it is a sign that next year might be a little more interesting than some have predicted.

I was pretty stunned that Palin is polling worse than Bachmann.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What's the Washington Post Super Bowl 2013 forecast say? Also, most polls since January have shown Romney relatively close to or tied with Obama. With nine percent unemployment, it's a wonder he's not behind by 15. I believe that shows that deep down, most voters have a primal instinct (a correct one), that neither political party is particularly interested in what happens to anyone who isn't making over $500,000 a year, so they vacillate between what are perceived as unappetizing alternatives.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Is this poll done with the electoral vote breakdown in mind? Because if it isn't, it doesn't mean shit.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Romney is also going to have a tough time just being the Republican nominee, so there is that.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Let's see what Fox News has to say about Sarah Palin's possible Presidential run...

[​IMG]

Uh...still having trouble with their graphics department, I see.

And on topic - yeah, we'll see how things stand after the primaries. If the Republicans get behind a moderate candidate pretty early, it could be a very interesting general election. If they are fractured and rip each other to shreds, it could be the Democrats in the 1970/80s. I'd be interested if that poll was for likely voters or the general public, as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Republicans nominated a moderate in 2008 while the Dems nominated one of the most liberal members of the Senate. (And that's not an opinion, it's based on his voting record.)

McCain was everything moderates like Colin Powell said we should nominate.

So, who did Powell, William Weld, Lincoln Chafee, Jim Leach, Dick Riordan, and Lowell Weiker endorse? Barack Obama.

If you give voters a choice between Democrats & Democrats Lite®, they'll go with the authentic Dem every time.

It's only when Republicans run as a true Conservative alternative to the Democrat Party -- when there is a clear distinction between the two parties -- that they win.

You can't nominate a kook, but an articulate, sincere Conservative is what the Republicans need.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ho-hum.

Of those who deal with this stuff, the sharpest offshore book I'm aware of in this area has
    the Dems -250 today, and the GOP +175.

That's a nasty spread, and the book's hardly inviting serious action at those prices, but it
    gives you an idea of the historical realities. If Romney wins the nom, it won't be until after
    Palin and (even if not in the race) Huck take their best shot at slicing a few of his arteries.

Right now, the GOP internals are brutal. Daniels had at least one golden idea -- hey, people, let's put the social issues aside. But the 6,000-year crowd refuses to do so.

Lotsa luck.

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

That probably won't have much of an effect on Palin entering the race. She's surrounded by people who do nothing but tell her how great she is, and I'm sure she'll just write this poll off as another example of the gotcha media out to get her.

She and Bachmann will compete for the same pool of voters, so I'm sure the grownups in the GOP hierarchy will root for both to enter the race and cancel each other out.

Bachmann 's camp fires the first salvo:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/gop-presidential-primary/165139-bachmann-aide-goes-after-palin-for-not-being-serious

Veteran GOP strategist Ed Rollins -- who has signed up to advise Bachmann's presidential campaign-in-waiting -- criticized Palin, the former Alaska governor, for lacking seriousness since serving as the Republican vice presidential nominee in 2008.

"Sarah has not been serious over the last couple of years," Rollins said on Fox News personality Brian Kilmeade's radio show. "She got the vice presidential thing handed to her. She didn’t go to work in the sense of trying gain more substance. She gave up her governorship."

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Can we just drop the fiction and restore the politics board for good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.