1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Washington or Boston

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Michael Echan, Nov 25, 2008.

?

Which city would be more fun (and less expensive) to spend a weekend?

1. Washington, DC

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Boston

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boston.

Sullivan's.

Bruins game with FB.

Nole contendere.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, that's an understatement.

I like both cities, but I'd probably prefer DC.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

As a member of the DCSportsJournalists.com crew, I say bring it on!

I haven't been to Boston very much, but I voted for D.C. because I believe it's more expensive up there. Also, I heard traffic in Boston is comparable to/worse than D.C.'s.

Having said that, one thing D.C. doesn't have that Boston does is the U.S.S. Constitution. I'd love to go visit that ship some time when I have both money and time off.

4. f_t -
    Make sure to duck belowdecks.
    Sailors in 1812 were a lot shorter than we are.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I've been aboard the Constellation three or four times. Believe me, I know. But thanks for the tip.

I was so obsessed with the War of 1812 when I was in eighth grade that I probably read more books about it than some grad students.

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Michael, if you'll be driving in either city, I'd say it's a fairly easy choice.

DC's numbered streets run north-south, outward from the Capitol; lettered streets run east-west; streets named after states run diagonally.

In preparation for a trip to Boston many years ago, I read that the city streets look as if they've been designed by cows. And, indeed, it seemed that way in practice too. Heading to Fenway, we took an exit from some tunnel that directed us to go that way to get to Fenway. Coming out of the tunnel, we were able to see Fenway three blocks over or so, but were unable to turn in that direction. We tried to backtrack and inexplicably wound up in Cambridge.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Do not drive in Boston.

Park your car at the hotel and buy a transit pass.

Also, Boston is a great walking city.

8. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

holy shit! I was sure you'd
    Wow...I would have bet anything that Mizzou would have said "Boston sucks!!!!"

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

You can get a week-long T pass in Boston for about $15, IIRC. That in itself is a tremendous value.

As far as DC goes, I'd suggest staying in Northern Va. Hotel rooms will be cheaper there and it's a short drive up I-66 or 395 into the city.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Didn't he say he's taking the train? So, no driving. Which is good, because driving in D.C. sucks, but driving in Boston nearly cost me my marriage once.

I say go to D.C. I like the bars there better, and there are a lot of different kind of museums, where Boston sticks to the Colonial stuff. But you can't go wrong either place. Unless you drive in Boston.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Yep. You can do a lot in DC with a small budget, thanks to the museums. And I would imagine Wizards and Capitals tickets are cheaper and easier to come by than Celtics and Bruins tickets.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Tell him about all the roundabouts.

Draft saved Draft deleted