1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wash. Post social experiment

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spankys, Jan 24, 2009.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

You have to be pretty damn cynical to consider that piece elitist, like you had to have gone into it with either a negative perception of 1) the writer, 2) the subject or 3) the story's status (well-received, to the point it won a Pulitzer).

I thought it was absolutely brilliant, combining openness from the subject with true prose.

2. "It was a story about artistic context, priorities and the soul-numbing gallop of modernity. "
    Good god.
    Get over yourself.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The story was about a world-famous violinist, playing an expensive Stradivarius for spare change... and observing the reaction he got in a hub that shuttles thousands of people every day.

But you're characterization of it works, too, I guess, in a foaming-at-the-mouth sort of way.

That settles it. The piece sucked. ::)

You might want to wipe the spittle.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If this was a social experiment, where was the control group?

Next time you see a street performer, take note of where they are positioned. It is always where people might stand, even if it is only for a minute or two.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The street performers I see are a couple blocks from stadiums, playing where people walk by. Not on corners, not where the lines will reach. On bridges, along walkways.

Just saying. Maybe "always" isn't your best call.

6. And, as long as we're back in the condescending, passive-aggressive four-year old whiny mode, you ought to learn to fucking read.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Condescending, eh? Maybe that's because I am an "elitist."

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The dude who plays the Buckets outside the Metrodome always gets a couple bucks from me.

Carry on.

9. imjustagirl

Well, you've already thrown away more money than that just buying tickets. Might as well give to someone who deserves it.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I hope insulting the Twins costs you points!

11. imjustagirl

Actually, I earn bonus points for that. I can now eat 37 points worth today. Thanks!

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And how many points are in a bag of dicks, exactly? :D

Yeah, play that song on your violin.

Draft saved Draft deleted