1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wash. Post columnist: Time to shut down the small papers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Dec 10, 2008.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The JG, do you mean something like the AP. That's kind of what they do already.
    To a degree, at least.
    My personal feeling is that what the guy said is not something he would print.
    It was in an online forum and I suspect that he would have a different take or at least a take that put what he said in context so it relates.
    In a sense, some places are already doing that. Even on a small level, such as a state capitol bureau office that provides local copy for smallish, regional chains.

Edit: The JG has already provided more context than the Post guy did in an off the cuff online chat response. Just saying.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It seems to me that was his thought, yes.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree with the economy of scale part of it, the problem with metros is you have more news orgs fighting over the same pie, radio, TV, Internet, newspapers. In smaller areas you have less competition for the entire market. Share of market is how you sell advertising.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It's a little like the AP model, I guess, but AP doesn't put out the end product. They merely stream content to the outlets who do the final assembly in the form of their local papers or broadcast. My interpretation of Pearlstein's idea is more of a soup-to-nuts operation.

I'm thinking this is more analogous to a television network, where you have a handful of big combines (NBC, CBS, etc) that stream content down to the local level. Then that outlet adds its local component.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Another egghead with all the answers, opining from an ivory tower.

Compare profit margins of big papers vs. small papers since 2006, when this Black Death of an economic crisis first started warming up. I for one know no little fish who have lost their jobs.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Epic nose-picking.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Epic snobbishness.
    Epic ignorance.
    Epic opining from an ivory tower (thank you, LJB ... perfect phrase).

And because he won a Pulitzer, we should listen to him and simply accept this? Good grief ...

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Sam, they listen because they can't or refuse to think for themselves.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Walter Duranty snagged a Pulitzer for praising Stalin. Enough said.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And Jimmy Durante picked his epic nose.

11. ggMets

ggMets Guest

I think local newspapers web or print are soon on their way to relying heavily on "community correspondents" to write stories, putting more of us out of jobs.

12. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

He complains about the lack of local coverage in smaller newspapers, then turns around and states the business would be better if the smaller papers, providing most of that type of coverage, die off so the larger papers, which would provide none of that type of coverage, would live.

OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted