1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was he?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Dec 3, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The only places that might have an excuse would be West Coast desks that might have been working on the next day's cycle as the games were being played. The first Final Four game usually does not start until about 5:40 Eastern time.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I knew what you were saying slappy. I was asking about DyePack's haphazard slagging of all sports desks that ran the column.

Albom was horrifically wrong for writing the column. I was just checking to see that desks were equally shoddy in running it, and weren't fed it at a time in which it would not have caught anyone's eye anywhere else.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Your passion is noble. It's also useless. Loudon Downey needed a trial lawyer today ...

Seriously, though, you're starting to remind me of Cliff Barnes. He would always launch these schemes based on he was right and J.R. was wrong, and they usually ended badly.

Even if Mitch Albom is secretly the Antichrist, you can't take him down without going after his enablers -- the fucktards at the Freep.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I fail to see how it can be haphazard. If anything, the whole thing was a serious indictment of desks and their lack of attention to detail. Can it get any more obvious than past-tense references to something that clearly hasn't happened yet?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Before you decide to trash my Quixotic crusade, I suggest you might find a new spin on your own. Just because you washed out on a copy desk doesnt mean they're all bad....

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the Freep arent his enablers. It's the Freep and ESPN. And oompa winfrey. And WJR. And ESPN. And the soccer moms who buy his sappy books. And everyone else that believes in humble ol' St. Mitch...

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

The typical non-factual response. Feel free to PM me just what copy desk we're talking about here, and then both of us will know.

Again -- past-tense references to something that obviously hadn't happened yet. No one fixed it. Either the column wasn't read thoroughly, or there are some awfully stupid people inhabiting desk chairs out there.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Since the topic is Albom, I'd like to interject a story.

He's doing a book signing, for the People you Meet at the Gate book (whatever it's called), and my buddy has a copy of Fab Five.

So, we go to the book signing. I'm waiting for him. I have nothing I want signed. Anyway, my buddy is the LAST PERSON in line. He gives Mitch the copy of Fab Five. Albom looks at it, signs it, and hands it back saying "My greatest piece of fiction writing, ever."

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Well, good luck persuading everyone who buys a book that he's a moron.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but...

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ummm, copy boy. Since reading is no longer part of that lost art, you fit right in.
    Exactly where did I say that Albom was a moron? Far from it. Convincing people to buy into his feel-good fictional pap is very shrewd...

12. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'm sorry. I believe you said it didn't matter whether he slipped up or not; you'd be criticizing him.

That's so much nobler. My bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted