1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warning the editor about this...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Aug 28, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

The tournament is actually called NARCh (small aitch -- learned how to spell that from a spelling bee), and it's the North American Rollerhockey Championships. It went to press as NARC It's a monthly and I'm a freelancer, so not much communication with the copy desk.

Next time, should I point it out to my editor (by using brackets) in the copy or make a footnote? Has this have happened to you? If yes, how did you deal with it?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Next time add a [CQ].

As in "NARCh [CQ]." It lets the blue pencils know it's not a typo in your mss.

3. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

To pass something on like this we just add a note at top

Note--NARCh is the official acronym as per the media guide and SID.

4. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

That's pretty impressive the paper would use a freelancer for the NARCh.

5. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

Nah. Just a graf.

A prime example was the NARC (North American Rollerhockey Championships) tournament, which took place at Hershey last month, July 15-30. In economic spin-off, it generated an estimated $10.3 million across the GTA, as 382 teams (from children to pros) participated in the international tournament for a total of 940 games.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

If it was just a graf and there was only one reference to the tournament, why even bother with the acronym in the first place?

7. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

For future reference.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So, is there NARCh Nadness?

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

For Monty Python fans, what about LARCh Madness?

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I don't know what this thread will morph into, but with copy going straight into production now more and more, I'm no longer in favor of CQing unusual things in the copy itself -- too dangerous. Make it a note at the top.

Draft saved Draft deleted