1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Warning: New Homeland Security terror risk. Everybody stay calm

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, May 30, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/topstories/news-article.aspx?storyid=82887

[​IMG]

Recreational Boats Considered a Homeland Security Threat

By Jackelyn Barnard
    First Coast News

JACKSONVILLE, FL -- The Memorial Day holiday means it's a day on the water with the family.

Chuck Singleton does what he can to makes sure his kids are safe out here. The concern is who else is out there.

"You don't know where they come from," said Singleton. "You know, they could load up with a bomb or whatever and come right out here."

With thousands of boats on the waterways, the worry is the recreational boat is now a Homeland Security threat.

"Just the sheer numbers and ability to hide among recreational traffic is something that makes it difficult for me to find the threat and address it," said Admiral Thad Allen, Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard.

A simple boat could be used as a weapon.

"Just the fuel, this has 85 gallons in this boat and that's bomb itself," said Singleton.

The head of the U.S. Coast Guard is throwing around a couple of ideas on how to keep you safe.

One would require licenses for all boaters in all states.

The other would call for transponders on recreational boats so authorities can track their location.

"Anything to improve our coast and help everybody out, we need to do it. We just have to get control over this. I think it would be a good idea," said Singleton.

Those against the licensing or the use of transponders believe the Coast Guard needs to set up a small perimeter, a safety zone, in areas of concern, so small boats can't get into certain areas.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

TERRORIST!

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Those Swift Boats can sure wreak havoc. ::)

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm obsessing on the graphic. An American flag layed over leisurely sailing boat.

And the big bold graphic RIVER RISK.

Who thinks this crap up? And how dumb do people think we are as a country that people would actually use this graphic in a so-called legit newscast?

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

In a recent announcement, the Homeland Security Department announced that EVERYTHING is a terrorist threat. All American lives will therefore be forfeited to ensure the country's safety.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Watch out for suicide canoeists.

You can carry those vessels around, launch them anywhere and they fly under the radar.

[​IMG]

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Anyone who saw Up The Creek knows this to be true.

[​IMG]

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Folks, this shouldn't keep us from taking our boats to the waterways for fun, relaxation, enjoyment.

If it does, well, the kayaks have won.

10. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Yes, today begins a new order. Your lands, your possessions, your very lives, will gladly be given in tribute to me, General Zod! In return for your obedience you will enjoy my generous protection. In other words you will be allowed to live.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Who thinks up shitty graphics like that? TV people, that's who.

Sorry to our few TV people in house.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat famiiar with that station, an NBC affiliate. They're buffoons for the most part. They also were exposed for leading newcasts with the breathless pronouncement: "potentially ground-breaking breast cancer treatment" or some such stuff, then finding out that the segment was more or less a paid ad for a medical lab or drug company.
    Truth be told, a terrorist could potentially cause havoc with 85 pounds of dynamite in a red wagon. Since spring practice was over for Florida, they needed something that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted