1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WaPo story on web "journalists" recruiting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Whipped, Aug 25, 2009.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Wow this is pretty nuts. It really begs the question of the media "credential." These days, there are so many sports websites out there and many with such a gray area about whether it's really "media" or not. What is a press credential worth in 2009?

I recently went to an NFL training camp for some freelance stories I had picked up. I was amazed at how easy it was to get credentialed. I could've told them I was from the Taliban and they would've given me a credential.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I get to cover Redskins camp?

Excellent, dude!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I love stories that show a lot of work.

Thanks for the link, Bristol.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Great story...thanks for the link. This quote from Bob Gibbons bugged me, though:

This sounds like a classic case of someone who's gotten inside and wants to lock the door behind him. Anyone whose search for a solution starts with "how do you legislate?" is probably someone with a terrible idea.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I suspect this story will send chills through the various fanboy sites. They'll be falling all over themselves trying to claim they never seek to influence recruits' minds.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A friend of mine who follows all this journalist/media/coverage stuff suggests that journalists have a level of expertise and skill and that we need to separate ourselves from the riff raff by getting licensed. How that would work, I don't know but it seems to me that's becoming a good idea.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

No offense to your friend, but it has to be said: This is a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Well, maybe so, but I think it would be cool to have a badge and be licensed to report.

9. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

I think places just need to be more careful about who they grant credentials to. Like I said before, when I went to training camp recently, nobody ever checked out the publication I was there working for, never questioned it, nothing. I could've said anything. They were handing out press passes like candy. And once people like the ones in the article are given access to athletes, there's no telling what kind of stuff could go down.

10. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Some countries have done things like this this (Brazil is the first example of a non-authoritarian one that leaps to mind, though I think they may've repealed or altered their policy on this in the last few years).

It strikes me as the first step down the slippery slope toward becoming a mouthpiece for Big Brother, who doles out the licenses. I'd prefer too much Chaos to too much Control.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know.
    Gibbons has a point and it is only a matter of time before a school is investigated and put on probation because of a recruiting writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted