1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WANTED: New hometown

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Mar 8, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why do you hate Jones?

And Frank, Richmond's airport is finishing a major overhaul. It's not huge, but it services a lot of airlines.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The Richmond airport has been redone, and is very good, IMHO.

Richmond's crime is a little unnerving in certain areas, but the food and eclectic places to eat are very attractive. It's almost like a northern city in its eateries.

The local sports, sans VCU hoops, are a little lacking, and the Richmond Braves play in a shit stadium and are leaving town in a year.

UVA is only an hour away, though.

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Holy shit, I was going to say that. Lived there for five months, absolutely loved it.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Eh, it's good to see a downtown with some life to it instead of boarded-up windows, but it's Disneyland. Except for the Mast General Store, it's not like there's any kind of shopping for essentials there. OK used-book store, but most of the stores are for trinkets. Pretty uninspired food. But a couple miles away ... Henry's Smokehouse. God, I love that place:

http://www.henryssmokehouse.com/

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You know, Jonesy, a lot of the places mentioned so far are trying to bolster their cultural credentials in order to make themselves more attractive to business and to an increasingly transient residential America.

So why not shop yourself to your top 10 cities? Pick the ones you like most, then send out your CV to the Chambers of Commerce in each place, and let them bid for you - the way they bid for presidential libraries and Wal-Marts. You'll be offered tax incentives, environmental credits, infrastructure upgrades. They'll probably want to school the boys for free, and make your wife the head of the City Council.

In a couple of years, you'll be a destination attraction, with a series of highway signs leading motorists past your house. Wave to them from your window as they pass! For doing so, I'm sure you'll get a 15% cut of the gross on the T-shirts, shotglasses, and "You're Never Too Far From The Jones Home" bumper stickers sold at the gift shop and information center downtown. Another win/win for the Invisible Hand!

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Or they could give him free beer.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Well there is that. Puts Milwaukee at an unfair advantage, though.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I went to wedding in Ocean City N.J. last summer. It was spectacular.

I asked the bride's parents why they spent six months per year in Florida, when OC was such a great little town. That's when I was told about the two-foot deep snowfalls on the island.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Providence RI - close to Boston / Close to New York - ok airport. great beaches great restaurants, Lively culture with all the colleges.

I like San Diego too. Compared to NY airports I think the airport is fine. Can't beat the climate. Real Estate is expensive.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Ocean City, NJ is a dry town, a fact my friends and I didn't discover until after we checked into our hotel and went to a restaurant, fully planning to have a drunken 4th of July.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

True, but there's a liquor store right across the bridge.

12. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i live in fort lauderdale, which has everything you want except the "temperate" climate. and it's far nicer than living anywhere in miami-dade county, although old timers i know who live here say that broward is eventually going to become another miami-dade county when cuba finally opens up.

that said, i'd probably consider the tampa/st. pete/clearwater area if i were you.

Draft saved Draft deleted