1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Want medical coverage? That will be $25, fatso."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

So.... you're getting your yayas at the colonoscopy.... Niiiiiiiiiiiice. High Fiiiiiive.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I grew up then, too. And the American diet was healthier in the 70s and 80s than it is today, which is shocking considering how much more we know now! The diabetes epidemic we are seeing is happening for a reason. I don't have to look at it anecdotally. The numbers tell us that people are eating MUCH worse (processed, high-fat foods; fast food) and exercising inadequately. These are CDC numbers: In 1962, the percentage of obese (not overweight--obese--so there is no disputing these people are very, very fat with a "the BMI is flawed" argument) was 13 percent. By 1980, it had risen to 15 percent. In 2000, it was 31 percent! In 2003, 32 percent. That is shocking--and it doesn't even touch on what we are seeing with childhood obesity, which is heartbreaking. I'm not sure if there are more recent numbers and I don't want to crazy on the google, although I did read earlier this year that obesity levels had leveled off for the first time in forever--with a third of Americans being obese. Not overweight. Obese.

3.8 million Americans carry more than 300 pounds (more than 400,000 400 pounders!). The average adult woman weighs 163 pounds. 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese based on BMI numbers. Those numbers are all dramatically higher than they were 30 years ago, so you can say your memories of the 70s and 80s are that we didn't live a healthier lifestyle, but given the fact that we are much fatter and are now dealing with epidemics of diseases that can be simply avoided with lifestyle choices, it's fair to conclude that memories are not telling the story.

Supermarket shelves today are drastically different than they were in the 70s and 80s. They are overstocked with hundreds of more easy-to-prepare, massively caloric, processed bleached flour foods that are high in saturated (and trans) fats that weren't being marketed in the 70s and 80s. And even the bad stuff that existed in the 70s and 80s is being consumed at higher quantities now. High-fat, caloric fast food is a much bigger business than it was then -- not that it didn't exist then; it just didn't dominate the diets of as many people to such a horrible extreme.

In terms of smoking, the fact that anyone smokes in this day and age boggles me. I will chalk up almost anything to personal choice and individual liberty -- you want to kill yourself, go ahead. But it enters public policy debate and costs everyone else because of the devastating effect it has on overall health care costs. Gallop has polled to see how many Americans smoke every year since 1944. This relies on people admitting they smoke, and there is a stigma attached, so it may UNDEREPORT the percentages. Last year, it was 21 percent of Americans. That is much less than the 44 percent in 1944 and the numbers in the 30s in the 70s and 80s, but how much more do we know now? What is shocking about it is that the number is that high and it hasn't been decreasing down to zero. In 2006, 23 percent identified themselves as smokers. That was actually an increase from the 22 percent in 2004. Go back 10 years to 1996, and 23 percent of Americans identified themselves as smokers. Nothing is changing.

Add the smoking to how much fatter people are getting (which isn't static, but getting much worse), and take into account what we know about the effects on health those two factors have, and it doesn't take a huge amount of study to conclude that all these expensive pills and medical procedures medical advances have given us are being consumed in quantities we can't afford because of a lack of personal responsibility.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How about putting Ragus post's on a diet. Not that I disagree with your original post but if you cut your word count even a quarter, to let's say 10 000 words we could save some bandwith.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My wife works for the state we live in, and the benefits are OK, but I wouldn't term them "up the ass awesome." We get charged a $50 a month surcharge because my employer offers health insurance and I don't use it. I'm not real happy about this, but the $50 is more than offset by the fact that the state benefit premiums are still about 30 percent less than those for the plan my employer offers.

Alabama pays 100 percent of the premiums for all of its 37,000 employees?Wowl.

Generally, I think insurance companies are the antichrist based on the lengths they will go to to get out of doing what you pay them to do, but on this point I think they're right. Because obesity is controllable in the vast majority of cases and because it contributes to, even generates, a wide variety of maladies, it seems fair to me to have obese people pay extra. They're going to consume extra from the insurance system. It's no different from drivers with increased risk factors being charged extra for auto insurance.

Oh, and 20-somethings not enrolling is nothing new. I didn't enroll in a health plan until I got married at age 25.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

By the way, in a lot of states you can't discriminate on group coverage based on size or smoking. That's why a lot of places go the other way. Instead of adding to your premium, they subtract from it if you meet certain guidelines. Of course, if you're paying nothing to begin with, you can't have anything subtracted.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I wonder which costs more, paying for obesity-related issues or paying for anorexia or bulemia-related issues? Those eating disorder rehab programs cost a pretty penny. What about dental care for bulemics? That reconstructive work ain't cheap.

I'm not saying obesity isn't a problem, but it's also not a moral failing. Some of you need to get off the high horse.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I like the big beautiful women romance ad at the bottom of this page.

As far as insurance goes, it is a rip job on healthy people. I'll pay roughly $1,400 this year for health insurance and I'll get two cleanings out of it. It would be a couple hundred bucks at the most if I paid for the cleanings out of my pocket.
    I still pay for the insurance, but the reality is that I'm still getting screwed. Insurance has a cap on how much they will pay. So if I have a catastrophic problem, I'm still financially ruined because I won't have the cash to pay what's left over.
    So, in a sense, it doesn't matter if I have insurance or not. I'd still be ruined, if the problem is really that severe.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I can't quantify this, but I would bet with absolute certainty that obesity is costing us significantly more in health care expenses than anorexia or bulimia, by a multiple that adds up to billions of dollars. Anorexia and bulimia are also diseases, not risk factors. Obesity is a risk factor, not a disease. Going to McDonalds and overfeeding your family on unhealthy food is not a psychological disease, at least the way most people, including the established medical profession, see it.

Not sure if the high horse thing was directed at me, but if it was, I never called obesity a moral failing or suggested it. You just made that suggestion. I'd hate to think anyone would attribute that to me based on your characterization, if it was directed at me. If it wasn't, I missed the person who did say it was a moral failing.

It may have gotten lost in the post that JC found so taxing, but I said I usually take an attitude that gives a lot of deference to personal choice and individual liberty. If you want to kill yourself, it's none of my business. My problem is that people's behavior can have wide-reaching societal effects that hit our wallets, effect public policy and effect children who can't make informed decisions for themselves.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't think anybody called it a moral failing. It's not a right-wrong issue. It's a more costly-less costly issue. I'll say it again: Most people who are obese got there as a result of their own choices. If a respected medical research organization comes out with data that indicates the majority of obese people got that way through genetics or other means not of their own doing, then I'll change my tune, but until then, I'll remain convinced that they got that way because they chose to sit on the couch, chose to eat what they eat, chose not to exercise. And I say all this as a person who is overweight, but who is also doing something about it.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, come on Ragu.....

We all know that pun was intended.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

"Pshh, $25 for coverage? That's nothing. Bring on the waffle run-off!"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Eat more Play-Doh, fatty!!!