1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Want medical coverage? That will be $25, fatso."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Alabama to start charging state employees $25 for health care coverage if they are deemed to be, shall we say, too portly:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080822/ap_on_bi_ge/obesity_penalty;_ylt=AhIFeTHAuJ0IhlylZXbgQ26s0NUE

Might want to go easy on that chicken fried steak, Billy Bob.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Figured it was just a matter of time. Heck, there are insurance companies who charge extra if you are a smoker. I suppose next, they'll charge people if they don't have blonde hair and blue eyes.

3. flopflipper

flopflipper Member

The state has given its 37,527 employees a year to start getting fit — or they'll pay $25 a month for insurance that otherwise is free.

Free? Really? Uh no, it's not "free."

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I love how CaptainMyCaptain uses "Fatso" in the thread title, but tries to be PC in the post by using "portly." ::)

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

the name's bubba and i can squeal like a pig.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What happens if a 400-pound guy gets himself down to 350? Or if the obesity is mostly genetic?

I smell a legal case.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. Because our health system has been overtaxed by people choosing to engage in stupid behaviors such as choosing to have blonde hair and blue eyes.

I don't think insurance companies should be the arbiter of this, but under our current whacked insurance system, they are the only ones who can be.

Regardless of our insurance system being so inefficient and adding costs, health care costs HAVE skyrocketed much more because Americans are so unhealthy. Obesity over the last 30 years has become an epidemic. As a result, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, stroke and certain types of cancer are way more prevalent than ever. When we have what the NIH describes as a type two diabetes epidemic on our hands, it tells you we have one fucking stupid population. It's like lemmings marching into the sea. And advances in health care just enable people to be stupid.

The great thing is that people can be absolute morons and smoke and eat fatty, crappy foods that make them fat as all hell, because over the last few decades we have developed all kinds of pills and medical technologies to keep people alive longer--despite the fact that people are giving themselves heart disease and diabetes and emphysema and numerous other serious diseases. The bad news is that those pills and technologies are as expensive as all hell and it's the reason health care now gobbles up a ridiculously huge percentage of our GDP and we don't have the resources to give everything to everyone.

We'd still have a problem with costs, even if Americans were healthier, but we have a problem to the tune of billions of dollars more because of smokers and obese people who make no effort to be healthy. Comparing wanting them to shoulder the cost of their unhealthy behavior to "blonde hair and blue eyed people"--as if there is even a reasoned analogy--is just way off the mark.

Our insurance system is whacked, but what I typed above is just plain truth. If you are a smoker and you never exercise and you don't eat a healthy diet, you drink too much, etc., you forfeit the right to bitch about our health care problems. You're the problem.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps so. And maybe insurance companies shouldn't be the arbiters of this. But focusing on the relatively few people who can't control their weight, ignores the masses (no pun intended) who have made America way fatter and unhealthier than it was 50 years ago. There are a lot of factors contributing to how expensive health care has become. Our behavior is by far the most significant.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No doubt.

I'm wondering if insurance companies will start covering the bariatric bypass more than they currently do.

It's a $25,000-30,000 procedure, but it eliminates dozens of future doctors visits/surgeries.

10. JLaff

JLaff Guest

Didn't want to quote the whole thing, Ragu, but I agree word for word. It's sickening how lazy many (and maybe you could even make a stretch to say most) Americans are. Starting this weight loss plan has really opened my eyes to it. People just want a quick fix, so they don't actually have to think about anything. It kind of feels like they don't care.

And the extra charge for medical coverage makes sense, I think. If you're in poorer health, you'll usually need to use the coverage more than a fit person.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's because I've had my posts on a diet for some time now...

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Well, I want a discount.
    I only use my insurance for dental. I don't have any prescriptions, health problems or issues.
    Zero.
    So why the fuck am I paying for all the unhealthy people?

Draft saved Draft deleted