1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Want a good student? Stop praising your kid, don't tell them they're smart

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 5, 2014.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree that blindly praising skill is wrong; our mantra with our two kids is "did you put your best effort out there?"

When I took the bar exam, I did not focus on passing but rather "when I walk out am will I feel like I did my best?" I figured, results would sort themselves out (I've got the talent); effort was key.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

qtlaw and Mizzou hit on something that most adults seem to understand, but that most kids don't: That the act of competing and giving it your all has value even if you don't win.

My kid's only 4, so I don't expect him to totally realize this yet, but I try to work on it. When he loses even in little games that we play, I patiently explain to him something like, "Even Paul Konerko strikes out sometimes."

But I remember what it was like. I remember "accidentally" pressing the "restart" button when I started losing to my dad in Pac-Man or Video Pinball.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I want my son to be like Captain Kirk: "I don't believe in no-win scenarios."

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My oldest son is super competitive. He wants to be the smartest in his class, the best player on his football team and he works really hard at it. He has a grit to him that makes me very happy. We don't have to push him much at all. He's already memorized all the states, is working on the state capitals and wants to memorize all of the countries in the world. I told him, "That's about 200." and he said, "I can do that."

Whether he can or can't, I love the attitude.

My youngest is the polar opposite. He does well in school, but has to be pushed to do anything. We try not to compare him to his brother, but that can be tough. He wants to do the same things as his older brother, but he doesn't want to put forth the same type of effort.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Pure ignorance.

Pure laziness; cannot think of anything intelligent, pull out racial stereotype.

Draft saved Draft deleted