1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wanna cover the Wisconsin-Penn State game on Oct. 13? Open your wallet...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norman Stansfield, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

You can get a pair of credentials for the game if you can beat the current winning bid of $550 on Penn State's website:

http://gopsusports.cstvauctions.com/auctiondisplay.cfm?auctionnbr=485

The best part?

Winning bidder must be a Penn State Nittany Lions fan and act appropriately and in good conduct during the experience including but not limited to not interfering in any way with team business or disturbing any players or coaches. If at the sole discretion of PSU Athletics, the winning bidder is not acting in an appropriate manner or is not in good conduct, the winning bidder will be warned once and upon a second warning will be removed from the premises with no refund. "Go Penn State Nittany Lions!"

2. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

do you get a parking pass too?

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Wooot! Awesome! See you guys there!!!

I like the bit about "not interfering in any way with team business or disturbing any players or coaches"... but nothing said about disturbing people who are actually, y'know, trying to work? I'm sure they're not the only Football U. doing this, but can't say it makes me proud to be a PSU alum, either.

4. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Is this how the clappy clowns got into Gundy's press conference?

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Read my mind.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I have a feeling the morons at Gundy's presser had to pay a lot more than $550 for the 'right' to clap.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, what a joke.

Their marketing director, who came on board in 2004 or 2005, has come up with some really good ideas (White Out, Football Eve), but this one is over the top.

And on Homecoming, no less.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I think the Football Writers Association needs to have a look at this.

9. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

How about this, though. If he/she wants the real press experience, make him/her perform real press duties. Have the winner get there like three hours before the game, park in Timbuktu, get up to the box and set up the ol' laptop.
    Then, have this person do a running, insightful gamelog for their loyal legion of readers. After the game, which would probably end around 6:30 at best, given the mid-afternoon start, go down to the press conferences - home and away. Make there they get plenty of material, because there's some writin' to do.
    Maybe, if the winner's feeling particularly saucy, he or she can get JoePa to yell and say, "I'm a man! I'm 80!"
    Afterwards, back up in the press box, get crackin' on a gamer, a PSU sidebar, and a Wisky sidebar for even-handed coverage. Given his/her lack of experience, that should run right up against deadline. After the send button has been clicked, unplug, trek all the way back to Timbuktu, drive back to whatever butthole city he or she came from, and hope people don't send angry emails the next day.
    Go Penn State Nittany Lions!

10. Martin is working some things out, I see.
    You forgot to mention the power going out, thereby eating all the work, five minutes before deadline.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A lot of colleges let boosters into the press conferences. In the SEC, those people are known as beat writer and columnists.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

ZINNNNGGGGG!

Draft saved Draft deleted