1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wallpaper removal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, Jun 23, 2010.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If you paint over wallpaper, eventually the seams will show through the paint. The only thing worse than wallpaper is paneling. But at least that comes off in a nice 4x8 sheet.

And I third or fourth the Dif.

2. statrat

statrat Member

A fifth on the DIF. I hate removing wallpaper. That is all.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It was on for 30+ years, and pealing.

Oh, and the DIF didn't touch this stuff. Not the second layer anyway. It was like someone put invisible plaster over it.

BTW, I stepped on the scorer today after the showere. I got about 70% done. I think Dr. J is going to have to finish this one out.

He informed me last night that the walls aren't drywall though. Too old. I'm not sure if the stuff on the walls is paste or old plaster. Ugh! What am I going to do with these walls?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just go to control panel and click on a new one.

I'll read the thread now.

5. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

There's one thing worse: wallpaper made to look like paneling. I kid you not.

We had to deal with this when we bought our house in 2000. It's wallpaper that looks like the panelling popular in the 1970s -- brown with the vertical black indents/seams, only on the wallpaper there are not indentations. This stuff covered the walls in a room with no ceiling light fixtures, so you can imagine the cave-like lighting.

We just sanded it a little and painted over it, in very thick paint.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And I learned the hard way that the key to the Dif is to absolutely score the bejeesus out of the paper before spraying a ton of the Dif on, so the paper gets completely saturated. Did a lot of walls before I figured that out. There was one wall where the largest piece I pulled off was the size of a dime.

The first house we bought in Arizona was a typical stucco and tile roof desert home, and the previous owners had put up Victorian style dark wallpaper all through the house. It was incredibly out of place and a bitch to remove.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Try vinegar and water. Seriously.

My wife and I stripped wallpaper at our first house. The fuckheads who lived in the years prior to us had put FIVE layers of wallpaper on the walls over the years. We managed to get it all off, but it took quite a while. That experience scars me to the present day.

8. Just_a_fan

Just_a_fan Member

It sounds like the walls are most likely plaster.

You could apply a skim coat. A skim coat is a just a thin layer of new plaster or joint compound that will cover everything up. Then, when it dries, you can paint the new layer.

Here's a link about it. This guy is skim coating a textured wall in order to add wallpaper, but the principles are the same.

http://www.plaster-wall-ceiling-solutions.com/skim-coat.html

Edit: I don't mean you should do this to cover up wallpaper. After the wallpaper is removed you could do it to cover any remaining paste and fill any voids.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You should have invited me over after a night of drinking Big Hoppy Monster beer and eating food off the 7-Eleven grill. I've been known to peel the paper off walls the next morning. :-X

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This sounds like a great idea. We've got about 99% of the paper off (steamer ran out with about two 8x10 sheets left) and it seems someone went crazy with the plaster patches. We can't quite figure out what they patched if the first place though.

Anyway, it's a relief knowing that we're almost on to the next phase.

11. highlander

highlander Member

Yep it keeps the wallpaper smelling fresh and clean.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Pretty douchey thing to say. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted