1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd hate to hear how this guy would act if Roger Clemens was in George's box.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

More on the birth/death adjustment bullshit:

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2010/05/jobs-increase-by-290000-unemployment.html

3. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Wow you found someone on the internet that agrees with you, despite a huge majority believing something else? Well, that's all the proof I need.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to post a link to a guy who believes the moon landing was a hoax. And if you don't believe me, then you're all idiots! AAHHHH!!

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Sucks to be proved a fool, aye Oliver?

5. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

I'll take your word on that.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A good start to cutting Federal deficit would be to lop off about half the federal work force who sits around collecting $75 G a year to produce this guess work.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Worrying about the deficit is stupid. Deficits don't matter.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/05/galbraith_the_danger_posed_by.html

"James Galbraith is an economist and the Lloyd M. Bentsen Jr. chair in government and business relations at the University of Texas at Austin. "

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The collection and compilation of statistics on a country of 300 million plus people is of its very nature going to involve some uncertainty. There are a lot of different methodologies used precisely to allow for rough general concepts. Were there 290,000 jobs created last month? Beats me. Was the employment situation somewhat better than in January? Almost certainly. That's why graphs are useful -- for trend lines.
    Boom, we could always save money on statistics the way they do in China, where they're all made up.

9. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

More good news:

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/13/news/economy/initial_claims/index.htm

Jobless claims down for 4th straight week
    By Annalyn Censky, staff reporterMay 13, 2010: 9:45 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The number of first-time filers for unemployment insurance fell last week for a fourth straight week, according to a weekly government report released Thursday.

"There were 444,000 initial jobless claims filed in the week ended May 8, down 4,000 from an downwardly revised 448,000 the previous week, according to the Labor Department's weekly report. The number of claims is the lowest since the 442,000 reported in the week ended March 27.

The downward trend in initial claims continues to show general improvement in the economy, and is consistent with monthly reports that show employers are starting to add jobs, said Michael Hanson, senior economist with Bank of America Merrill Lynch. "

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Still trying to figure out what happened back in May when the Dow dropped 600 points & then rebounded:

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The SEC & CFTC say they now know what happened:

Draft saved Draft deleted