1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wall Street Journal: Sports Leagues Impose More Rules on Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Speedway, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Oh, and from a 10-item memo from the SEC about its upcoming Football Media Days (otherwise known as Kickoff 2007):

4. Video and audio highlights as well as verbatim quotes from all head coaches and highlight quotes from student-athletes will be available on the SEC's official website, www.secsports.com. Segments from media days will be carried on ESPNEWS and/or ESPNU during the three days.

5. INTERNET POLICY -- For media shooting for the web, there is a breakout room for Internet providers. Do not shoot video from the print room for web purposes. We ask that you not provide live web coverage during the time of each day's events (Wed., 12:45 p.m. - 5:20 p.m. CT / Thu., 8:30 a.m. - 12:50 p.m. / Fri., 8:40 a.m. - 12:50 p.m.). There is no limit on what can be put online following each day's events.

I suspect No. 5 is there because of the bold-face section in No. 4.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

How many of you would give the photo credit to "LSU Sports Information" or just use something like "Podunk Press file photo"?

I wonder how long before a professional league attempts to restrict the number of reporters per media outlet or the number of stories-video-photos-graphics that can be printed or posted.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The photo credit goes to the school. It's not a staff photo. I can't imagine saying that it's a file photo. Courtesy LSU is what the tagline should read.

4. KP

KP Active Member

If that's what the NFL wants to do then photogs should bring a little red tape with them.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Is the problem here the vest or the corporate logos? FIFA has photogs wear vests. Many (all?) auto races have photogs in vests, often color-coded for various turns and restricted areas.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

It always amazes me how newspapers rarely see the irony in their actions. Blathering over shooters wearing logo vests? How about the ever-expanding sale of editorial space in papers to advertisers? Big ad on the front page? No problem! (And by the way, how many of those shooters usually wear hats featuring the logo of a team or some other commercial enterprise?)

Newspapers are always quick to judge others, but rarely sit in judgment of themselves. It's the same kind of crass hypocrisy used to sell papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted