1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Walk-out in North Carolina

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SCEditor, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Heh, they'll probably make a better living at the Wal-Mart anyway.

2. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Elkin's coverage area includes (or it did when I lived near the area) parts of Surry, Yadkin and Wilkes counties.

3. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I saw a June 19 story on E&P's Web site that said Elkin's publisher Rebel Good resigned, too.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003600709

4. Wow, that is big if Rebel left. He was one of the good guys for Mid-South and he helped me out greatly. Well, now he'll have more time to umpire professional and college tennis matches. I hate it for the guy.

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

http://www.scpress.org/news.php?id=1

http://www.scpress.org/news.php?id=28

Some updates on some of Heartland's newspapers. Seems in Pickens, S.C., the publisher just walked across the street and started a newspaper. In Mt. Airy and Elkin (N.C.), they did the same thing. Heartland, apparently, doesn't like that.

Thought this would be a good update. If it's been posted somewhere else already, I apologize and will be happy to take my lashings.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That quote is simply bullshit. Empty and erroneous.
    It's the product of an erudite, rebellious military child.

"Freedom is not the right to do what we want, but what we ought... To the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it." --Abraham Lincoln

7. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Mt. Airy listed five open positions yesterday on NCPA's site. Sad part is, there are more than enough ignorant (to this) recently-graduated J-schoolers rushing to the post office now.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Two guys in the front row at Heartland were publishers at my old shop (never knew Bush).
    Goodrich was probably one of the better JRC publishers (and a friend of my sister-in-law, who went to the same church), and he suffered a heart attack while in Jelenic's employ - Dan wasn't exactly a fatty, either. Lawrence, however... one of our reporters once heard from a longtime advertiser that Lawrence bragged to him about being willing to shut down a paper he ran in Alabama so he would'nt have to deal with a union. Mercifully, he didn't stay long.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Heartland sues competing newspapers in N.C.
    07/10/2007
    The owners of the The Mount Airy (N.C.) News and The Tribune in Elkin, N.C., are trying to stop the former publishers of those two papers from printing a competing newspaper Monday.

Heartland Publications LLC has filed a lawsuit against former publishers Mike Milligan and Rebel Good, saying that the men crippled its newspapers last month by taking key employees and information with them to start The Messenger.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday in Surry Superior Court claims that Milligan and Good were planning the new publication while still "the highest level local managers" of The Mount Airy News and The Tribune. The suit alleges that the two recruited employees arranged for up to 15 others to be fired and manipulated the emotions of remaining employees "so that they would walk out en masse" on June 18.

------

Good grief ... is Heartland going to claim both their former publisher have some handy Kool-Aid to distribute, too?

What a crock ... fight the good fight, ladies and gentlemen. Plenty of people will back you.

And AppGrad ... noticed those multiple openings, as well. Sadly, some fresh-out-of-school souls who won't be given a chance to earn some experience elsewhere won't have many better choices. Ugh ...

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It seems that Mount Airy has a few openings. Gee, I wonder why? :)

11. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

Late to the party as usual, but does anybody know what happened with Phil Goble, the managing editor?
    Did he walk out, was he fired or is he even still there?

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

It's always an option. the only thing holding people back is materialism.
    I walked from my place a while back and never been more at peace. Not working steadily yet, but I'll always remember these past few months.

Draft saved Draft deleted