1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart food drive

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Nov 20, 2013.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Full disclosure: I work at Walmart. I like working at Walmart. I tend to think of its wages simply being typical relative to its retail industry, which they are, and in some places, they are even better than in others. And, I do believe this food drive is partly just a typical response/sentiment of community and caring within a store -- which, despite the big, bad reputation the company has -- that definitely does exist among the people at most stores.

(And, FYI: we will be being given a one-time use discount ticket during the holidays -- I can't remember if it's coming Thanksgiving week or Christmas week -- for 20 percent off of everything and anything we may want to buy, including any electronics, in the coming days. It'll be the same deal as last year).

That said, here is a good, general article on what JR and many others would try to say about this. It points up the problem of the haves and have-nots among corporations and populations that exists -- something that companies should recognize and rectify if possible.

http://money.msn.com/investing/post--what-does-wal-marts-food-drive-say-about-america

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

At one of my old shops, our Christmas bonus was a $25 gift certificate from one of the local grocery stores, ostensibly so you could buy a ham or whatever. My buddies and I were all single, so we just pooled our money together and bought as much beer as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted