1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart doing more with less, and struggling, relatively speaking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The "Wal-Mart Effect" (book) predicted suppliers would get back at the company eventually. The chain really pissed them off when it was the biggest/only game in town by demanding unreasonably low prices and the smallest possible packaging.

The margins for these companies became very tight and Wal-Mart's reaction was to laugh in their faces and dare them to go elsewhere. Now, there are other choices. Revenge time.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

No other (hidden) costs associated with all this WalMart efficiency?

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Not to get in the way of this week's Walmart bitchfest, but many of the weeklies in our chain are getting consistent Walmart advertising. Weekly inserts. Not ashamed to say that Walmart was a big reason most of those papers made budget last year.

That said, I stopped shopping there because nothing is more frustrating than going to the store for six things, finding that three of them are out of stock, and then having to wait in line for 20 minutes to purchase the three you can find.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Inserts don't make that much money for newspapers. They're printed off site and newspapers handle the end of the process. Sure, they make money (and that always should be lauded), but Sunday inserts aren't pushing us over the top.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Walmart we go to has cut back checkout registers considerably. There are quite a few more self checkouts, which are fine if you have 10 items, not so fine if you're shopping for the week.

I do our grocery shopping pretty early on Saturday mornings to avoid lines and crowds and I still had to stand in line for almost 15 minutes to check out because they had two checkout people working for the entire store.

I would love to go to other stores for grocery shopping, but I would estimate that we save at least $20-$30 a week by going to Walmart for the main items...

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The recent absence of greeters and checkers would seem to argue against this being only a "supplier" restocking problem.

jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/01/27/walmart-greeters-will-no-longer-greet-at-the-door/

Maybe they're looking to wring a little more efficiency out of the customers as well. Self-checkout replaced by self-checkout?

loganville.patch.com/articles/checkout-via-smartphone-you-can-now-do-it-at-walmart-in-loganville

Maybe they'll start letting customers do the restocking, too.

Efficient!

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The race to the bottom gets you in good shape, no doubt.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The greeters always creeped me out. I remember when my oldest was 3 and the greeter, who was probably pushing 90, tried to give him a sticker and my kid ran screaming down the aisle.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That's OK. Grandpa's all alone in the back now with a box cutter, trying to unload a truck full of Huggies from Bentonville for $7 an hour.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

On the self checkouts, I saw them taken out a few years back at one WM. I asked the manager why and he said loss prevention issues. I laughed and said, "given the client demographics, did this possibility ever come up in the meetings?"

Whenever I see a "Speedy Checkout" sign in front of a supposed express lane, I keep thinking there has to be a class action case in there. Ain't never been a speedy checkout at WM.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You go, suppliers!

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

In the early '90s when I worked for a trading card company, getting retail product into Wal-Mart was a constant challenge for the sales/marketing folks. The lovely people down in Arkansas would squeeze you on price, negotiate the right to return unsold product and demand completely different products, including cards per pack, packaging, etc. Because they could. Maybe those days are coming to an end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.