1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal-Mart doing more with less, and struggling, relatively speaking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

WT - i'm sure i'll wish i'd read to the end of this thread before i responded, but: yeah, a lot of people match 100 percent. the key is what percent of YOUR pay they match at 100 percent?

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

what fucking percent of employee pay do they match? it's a pretty simple fucking question.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

then don't tell me you love me.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

OK, I'll bite. Judging from the pointed cryptic-ness of your post, you were hoping that someone would: I've been accused of that on here before.

Obviously that's a factor in every 401(k) plan. But I believe we were talking about company matches, were we not? I certainly was, and, as I've posted before, I believe a 100 percent match is uncommon. I'm guessing a lot of other people on here did, too, or else they probably would have chimed in with other examples...you know, compulsive internet link searcher-outers that everyone is, especially if it will provide a chance to prove someone wrong or prove their own point.

So, who, or what companies, are all these lots of people you know of who offer a 100 percent match on a 401(k), on any percentage?

And if there are so many out there, are they offering it on more than the standard six- or seven-percent contribution? I doubt it.

And no, I haven't looked. But I'd like to hear about them all if they offer 100 percent matches, especially on more than the usual contributions.

I know I have family members who are pretty big big-wigs in other companies that are just as big, just as recognizable and that have more shiny public reputations than Walmart does. A brother who's a top guy in the IT department at the pharmaceutical giant Amgen Corporation -- annually considered one of the best places in the world to work -- gets a 100 percent match, too, on employee contributions of up to only five percent. Amgen sweetens the deal with other benefits, but that's the basic plan. Another brother is the western U.S. district manager for Sodexo, the commercial-food industry giant, and he gets a 50 percent match. They were very surprised to know about Walmart's 401(k).

I'm willing to bet that you were, too.

I've just sought to open a little personal window on a company that everyone always thinks they know everything about, and I've enjoyed doing it here.

I like to talk shop. Always have. That's why I hang out here, even if I am working in another kind of shop right now.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

no, WT. a 100-percent match is not uncommon. it depends on the percent of your contribution at what they match.
    my company will match 100 percent of 8 percent of my wages regardless of how much i put in. some places only will match 100 percent at 3 percent. you see where i'm going with this now?

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

FWIW most places that match RRSP (sort of a Canadian version of a 401K) match 100%. The differentiator is the % of your gross that you can kick in.

7. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, that's one... :)

And it's very good. Why didn't you contribute this, oh, how ever many posts ago that you went on the attack, just to be an ass, I'm sure, instead of only bringing up "the percentage of YOUR income" that gets matched, um...two posts ago?

I'm pretty sure you knew what we were talking about the whole time. Believe it or not, so did everyone else.

So, uh, yes, I see where you're going with this. I did see it. I am not, and I doubt anyone on here is, as dumb as you seem to think. So stop with all the freaking condescension just because you don't like Walmart.

(Yes, we got that, too).

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

no, i thought it was pretty god damn obvious the entire time, so i thought i didn't have to break it down for a 4-year-old. and you still didn't answer the fucking question.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wish my company did a 401(k) match. Any percentage at all.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

if they do, don't try to pin them down on what percentage they will match. that shit obviously is secretive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.