1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wal Mart cuts prices again

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Nov 4, 2006.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So you've been to the Wal*Mart management school?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Employees of Wal-Mart are not working-class, they're the working poor, thanks to North America's need to save $2.00 on a box of detergent.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

I wasn't aware Target was an "elite circle."
    Guess I'm living the high life. Woo-hoo!
    Second that Darwin's Waiting Room comment, especially here in the South.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

hondo my man, there you go picking a fight again, you great Christian man, you. If you want that, you shall have one.

Flabbergasting thing is, from reading your posts, you and I are in symmetry on just about everything but politics ... and Wal-Mart.

So much for your Great Uniter.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Strawman argument. If Wal-Mart jacked up prices, they wouldn't pay their employees any more.

Either get a better job, or deal with it. If Wal-Mart wasn't serving a purpose, it wouldn't exist.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

IJAG
    I'm not talking about jacking up prices. And the old "get a better job" argument isn't really relevant.

I'm talking about the fact that they have single-handedly replaced relatively well paying working-class jobs in the manufacturing sector with poverty level service jobs.

Their labour relations track record, aided and abetted by post Reagan "right to work" nonsense is Dickensian.

When the workers in a Quebec Wal-Mart tried to unionize, they shut the store down.

So much for their pious slogans about being "part of the community".

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I heart Meijer's!

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, how I miss Meijer.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm just a dumb Canuckistanian.

What's "Meijer"?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's a huge superstore like Wal-Mart, only with much better quality. Like on par with Target, only in a big huge massive size.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My aunt and uncle in Michigan always referred to this as "Meijer's Shifty Acres"

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Started and headquartered in Grand Rapids, Mich. Have branched out to the neighboring states, but it's mainly a Michigan thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted