1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waiving bye-bye

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hankschu, Jan 15, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What happens when a typo makes it through and there aren't any readers to point it out?

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Then it must have happened in my paper (rim shot).

I end up being the copy editor for most of the rest of the paper because the managing editor and I are the only ones on salary. No one else can stay as late as we do because they'll end up too close to or over 40 hours by the end of Thursday night. And after reading about five pages of other people's stuff, my eyes are ready to explode and I'm sure things slip through because I can no longer see them. I end up hoping others saw the typos before the stories went on the page and I concentrate on punctuation and cutlines and headlines.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Nothing like letting mistakes get in the copy to reinforce your standards for journalism.

Words matter. Mistakes matter. Every fucking one of them matters.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Of course they do. They also happen.

And I just think this is slightly different because the word in question remains a real, albeit wrong, word.

Take this from somebody who once misspelled "memento" on 1A of a major (well it was) metropolitan newspaper and it sailed through three editions, including copious proofing, before getting caught.

And Hank, no argument with one thing about this: As staffs are reduced, you're certainly right. This kind of thing will happen a lot more frequently.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i doubt anyone here believes it's ok for errors to get through to either the web site or the print product but it's the nature of the beast and a thread on a simple typo in a single paper is a bit overkill.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

It'll be back next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted