1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waiting on bad news...worse than the news itself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jul 18, 2007.

1. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I'm a cuddler when things are stressful.

*shrug*

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, that makes more sense.

Update: Two days later and still no answers....which is probably a bad sign. If they let me go into the weekend like this, I may have to hurt somebody.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Any chance of just asking outright?

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Stay professional whether the people you're dealing with deserve it or not.

Karma works both ways.

5. outofplace

My karma is fine. The karma of others is probably going to take a hit.

I will be professional...to a point. But I'm going to be honest, too. If somebody is out of line I'm going to say so.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bad bad bad idea -- if you walk out the door, you "resign."

No accrued vacation or any other severance payment. Zero, zip, nada.

Also, no unemployment compensation.

The temptation can be strong to say "take this job and shove it," but never do it, unless you have somewhere else to go.

7. outofplace

Excellent advice, Starman. My thoughts exactly.

8. outofplace

Final update....and some clarification.

A week late, I finally got an answer...and it was the bad news I expected. No, I didn't get fired. I was turned down for what I thought was a very appealing job. I found out a couple more things that make it less appealing. In fact, I may have turned it down after all, but it still stings for a lot of reasons I can't get into. Not sure why I bother to be somewhat professional at this point, but I guess personal standards of behavior are meaningless if you abandon them just because other people fail to live up to them.

Thanks for the advise and distractions. It was a long week.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

outofp,

That's not fair. Being turned down for something you want isn't a big deal. Suck it up.

In fact, I have decorated three rooms with Plain-Dealer rejection letters.

10. outofplace

Ace, I did not know about the negative factors until today. There are a couple of things changing there of which I was unaware. In an attempt to keep from outing myself, I'm leaving out a lot. Sorry. My reaction would make a lot more sense with the full story. Your "suck it up" is badly misplaced, but I can absolutely understand why you wouldn't know that.

At this point I just thought I should provide an update since I did start the thread and I offered up the negative details I learned about today for full disclosure. I'm trying to convince myself there is a bright side here.

11. KG

KG Active Member

Sorry it didn't work out the way you were hoping for Out. Take some time to smell the roses and remember the good things you already have in your life.

Draft saved Draft deleted