1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Waiting on bad news...worse than the news itself

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good luck OOP and just remember who really won that Super Bowl!

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Get drunk.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do...that's why it cheers me up. Now if a poor, delusional Seahawks fan such as yourself was depressed, I would keep that person far away from a tape of that game or it might get ugly. :)

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

It's funny this thread was started. This scene played out numerous times for me this time last year.

I got home from covering the Memorial and I got a phone call from my mom. "I found a lump." For the next few weeks, tests upon tests were conducted. I'm not one to understand science or math — hence a career in journalism — but there is nothing more excruciating in life than awaiting test results from a doctor. Why the hell does it take so long? Evil.

Of course, each phone call from the Cleveland Clinic resulted in worse news.

A year later, my mom's doing great. Today she told me she had a great time at the Indians game last night.

Of course, it never seems to end. Last month, the oncologist ordered a test and we waited an entire week for the news. Numerous times each hour I thought about it and what it could be. Each time my cell rang, I jumped. Thankfully, it was nothing and her outlook is fantastic.

Anyway, one of life's sickest jokes is the time it takes to wait on news, especially bad news.

There are no sure fire answers. Sure... drink, listen to music, talk to a pretty girl, do work, read a book, but I find even in those moments when you think you are getting your mind off things... you truly aren't.

Do what you can do to get through the days. Enjoy little moments during the day. And remember, for as bad as it can get, in the future it will get better. Hell, that's the ride of life.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Don't know if it's an option for you, but my preferred method is to crawl into bed with someone important and wait quietly.

I am such a girl.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

JDV's important.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

8. outofplace

Fortunately for me, it is nothing like that. Nobody is sick or facing the possibility of being sick, though I've been where you were with that kind of news in the past. My brother spent a week in intensive care a couple months back. The stress today is nothing like that.

Glad to hear things have turned for the best for you mother.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I loved what Coach Yow said on the ESPY's: 'When life kicks you, let it kick you forward.'

Really, if you can't change the outcome, what's your choice? What's the absolute worst that can happen? You'll be okay, no matter what.

And yeah, if you can get laid while you're waiting, that helps.

10. outofplace

I'm saving this one to show the wife. Hopefully, she'll like the suggestion as much as I do. :)

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It must not be very good then.

12. outofplace

Thanks again for the responses. Looks like I'm not going to get an answer on this today...(banging head against desk.....ouch.....)

Draft saved Draft deleted