1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wah! The rich people get a nicer grocery store!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jul 27, 2011.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What kind of moron even thought this was worth putting in a newspaper?

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110726/DAVIDSON05/307200146/East-Nashville-ponders-why-Green-Hills-Kroger-got-upgrade

Ho-ly crap. I'm not nearly the conservative I used to be, but why is it government's business where Kroger puts its renovation budget? Maybe they are making the store in the rich part of town nicer because that's where the money is. Radical thinking, I know.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One potential, innovative solution: Mobile grocery Stores:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/16/fresh-moves-mobile-grocer_n_878414.html

[​IMG]

Slide show: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/16/fresh-moves-mobile-grocer_n_878414.html#s293516

I think it's fucking brilliant.

Much lower costs. Much lower risk.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When customers have choices, businesses have to compete. I'm guess the Kroger in the poorer side of town doesn't have much competition. Of course, the one thing worse than having to shop in a rundown grocery store is having to travel 20 extra minutes to buy groceries.
    But there is a history of grocery stores "re-dating" meat or moving unsold meat and/or produce to less desirable stores in the area.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So now "fresh food" is an inalienable right?

5. YankeeFan

I don't think it's a right, by any means. But it does play into the obesity problem -- which leads to a shit load of other problems.

I really think the mobil supermarket thing could be a good idea.

While it shouldn't be necessary, a little financial education would go a long way. So would nutritional information. But, the fresh food has to be available for the nutritional info to be of any good.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Whatever, Michelle. :D

If you expect to pick up a healthy lifestyle at a grocery store, you're fucked. If you want to eat healthy, you can. Doesn't matter if you shop at Walmart, Kroger or Whole Fucking Foods. In any grocery store, there's a limited number of ACTUALLY healthy items. After that, the $.99 jumbo burritos aren't much different than the $5.99 cans of tuna fish.

You want to lose weight, chase that fucking bus around every other day.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ho-ly crap, what a leap to a(n errant) conclusion. So, a city councilman comments on a grocery store, which is a concern of his constituents, and suddenly the gubbermint's taking over? Did I miss the part where he said that? Hmm. Didn't think so.

And, while fresh food isn't an inalienable right, it is a PR problem for Kroger's... which is why it makes the paper.

8. YankeeFan

I know. I have to be careful or I'm going to sound like a goody-goody liberal who wants to "invest" in people.

I'm just saying that there is a cycle of poverty. And, education of all kinds is what's needed to break it.

I used to do financial seminars. (They started out as sales seminars. Then my boss realized how little people knew, we just started doing a bunch of educational seminars. No sales pitch at all. We'd do 'em after Church in poor neighborhood.) So many people have no idea.

The supermarket I go to -- when i don't go to the Whole Foods down the street -- is a block from a firehouse you're familiar with.

It has a mix of Old Town yuppies and Cabrini Green residents using food stamps. The yuppies buy healthy food. The folks with food stamps buy crap. Sorry, but it's true.

(Also, at places like hospitals, or colleges, nearly every specialty coffee drink is ordered with skim milk. Nearly every single one.)

Yeah, people should eat well without any help.

And I'm very much against any kind of tax on salt, fat, fat food, soda, etc.

And, I don't even think Government should spend a lot of time or money on it. And, Michelle bugs the crap out of me. But, if she wants to make this her issue, I think that's OK. As an African-American, maybe she'll have an impact.

That's why this mobile thing excites me. I just hope Government doesn't screw it up and make it impossible for them to operate.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

This isn't the ghetto by any means. It's a working class district that is gentrifying a bit. And there's a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market five blocks away. A half-mile in the other direction is Turnip Truck, which is sort of a localized Whole Foods. If the neighborhood Kroger isn't providing a decent level of service, it will fold on its own.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Dust on the suntan lotion (in Tennessee?)

That phrase just struck me as funny.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Lookee here Blance, theys grilling meats in the store. Weez livin now.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Since someone mentioned this. A grocery store not too far from where I live got caught with changing the date on their meat. They just slapped a new date sticker over the old one and the person who bought it went home with some rancid-looking meat. A local blog jumped all over it.

It turns out, it's not illegal to do that, at least in New York State. Go figure.

Draft saved Draft deleted