1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wages up at newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Jun 10, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

(Inland Press Association)
    Newspaper industry wages increased an average of 2.1 percent from 2008 to 2009, according to the recently released Newspaper Industry Compensation Study (NICS), conducted by the Inland Press Association, a 124-year-old association of North American newspapers.

Now I'm sure they're not including the people who went from whatever they were making to zero after getting laid off or having their paper shuttered - but even a 2.1 increase seems like a lot considering the chain-wide furloughs and across the board pay cuts.

Am I wrong?

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

The folks laid off made less than the folks who laid them off. Ergo, the average wage increased.

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

My salary freeze begs to differ.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Now that's creative math.

5. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Hmm. Mine went down 7.5 percent.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This is the only possible way the formula works, but I'm still not sure I buy it.

8. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Also, if they're going by hourly wage, furloughs get taken out of the equation since those aren't hours you're working.

There are still plenty of union contracts which haven't been changed, and I presume all of those include an annual pay jump of some sort. I know at my shop, people continue to advance up the pay grid, and with the lack of jobs elsewhere we're seeing a lot more people higher on the grid than ever before.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ergo, bullshit.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Who on this board got a wage increase this year? Interested in knowing. This survey sounds like BS.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I got my annual pay raise last fall, but I won't be getting it this year.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... brought to you by the same bunches who cooked circulation numbers and believe the term "rightsizing" helps spin issues.

Draft saved Draft deleted