1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wade is the new Magic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Dec 25, 2006.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

This guy is absolutely stunning to watch. He puts up 40 with 11 assists, five blocks and some steals today. I didn't see the game, but I did watch a Tivoed best of 2006 off the NBA network. Wade was in on several of the year's top plays, mostly for acrobatic stuff. I say he's nearing Magic status. Of course, he's not the passer that Magic was. Who compares best to Wade? I can't put him in Jordan territory. But he's definitely proving to be among the greatest of the past 25 years. I say he'll be right there with Magic, Michael and Larry before he's done.

And, yes, I know that the Mailman is up there along with a host of other players, but none of those guys had the ability to cause jaws to drop the way Wade does.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'd say Wade is a taller, stronger Isiah Thomas. Only without the evil.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think the only person who can guard Dwyane Wade is ... Dwyane Wade.

But then if he guarded himself, neither team would get beyond the top of the key. Unless one of the Dwyane Wades went out for a blow ... then the non-Wade team would score at a rate of 16 points per minute until Wade No. 2 returned.

Next week on Shot-talk: Dwyane Wade tries to hit Cole Hamels' fastball.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I grew up in L.A. Magic was my hero. He's my favorite athlete of all time. He made me happy for so many years. I cried when he retired ...

... Wade is a very, very good player. One of the best of this generation. He's no Magic Johnson. He's no Michael Jordan. Or Bird. He's not close to any of the 3. But he's very good, and I'd pay to watch him.

5. HeinekenMan

Of course, Wade is a much better scorer. Isiah averaged less than 20 points per game over his career. Wade, I imagine, will average better than 25, and that's with Shaq around to carry part of the load. The more that I consider it, I can't see why we can't just call Wade the new Jordan. I mean, the only thing holding me back from such a statement is that it's sort of a tired refrain, comparing a guy to the best of the past. We all know that each generation's greats aren't really comparable to anybody from other generations. Thus, arguments about Jerry West and Nate Archibald are inevitable. But, really, Wade is a scorer, a defensive stud, a rebounder and a playmaker. And, of course, a champion.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

MJ scored 28.2 ppg -- as a rookie. Wade has yet to average that much in a season. MJ averaged more than two steals per game his entire career. Wade has yet to average two steals per game in any season.

Calling him the next Jordan is ludicrous. There will NEVER be another Jordan. Why can't he just be the first Dwyane Wade?

7. HeinekenMan

Yes, despite whatever I wrote, that's exactly what I meant, that he's a new entity that really can't be compared to anyone else in the same way that you can't compare Larry Bird to Michael Jordan.

In any case, we all seem to be in agreement that this guy has something special, perhaps something that no player had had in a few years. I see more in him than I saw in Kobe or anyone else. I mean, he's no Will Perdue, but he's not bad.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The one thing I love about Wade is when he goes hard to the rack and dunks on the giants, and I think "who the fuck does this punk think he is?!" That's what most impresses me about him, his intrepid personality. Only one other small player made me think that way, Kevin Johnson -- whose baseline dunk on Hakeem is one of the great dunks, ever.

9. HeinekenMan

Wow. Kevin Johnson. How soon we forget.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I thought we were past the time of trying to ID the next Jordan.

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Wade is great, but I'm not impressed with the Heat's record this season. After watching the finals, I thought he was the MVP of that team. But with Shaq being out, the Heat are looking terrible this season.

12. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i thought lebron was the next magic.

Draft saved Draft deleted