1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vonnegut's place in your personal heirarchy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Vonnegut's standing

I'm surprised at the complete omission of Ray Bradbury in this conversation.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Twain, it seems to me, hits leadoff.
    Steinbeck, second.
    Poe hits third.
    Hemingway bats cleanup.
    Faulkner, fifth (omitted intitially ... I knew I was forgetting somebody)
    Vonnegut's probably that scrappy No. 7 hitter.
    John Irving hits No. 8 – but in a platoon, maybe, with Harper Lee.
    King is a tough out at No. 9. Gonna need a pinch-runner, though.

And I've got Harry Crews on the bench, just for the hell of it.

Grisham has to buy a ticket to get in.

You gotta throw Bradbury into the discussion, too, though he was playing a different style game from some of the others. Maybe he's Dock Ellis, throwing no-hitters on acid.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think The Great Gatsby may be the most perfect American novel ever written. It's probably my favorite book. But Fitzgerald didn't do enough else to merit a place as high on the list as a lot of you have him. Fascinating guy, who flamed out in part because he climbed Everest on his first try and couldn't repeat the feat. He just didn't have a very distinguished career other than Gatsby.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's gonna have to beat out Ken Kesey for that spot.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I think Vonnegut is good, but I don't put him anywhere near the elite class that includes Faulkner, Hemingway (who I wish I liked more than I do), Twain, Steinbeck, Poe and, though I'm sure some might disagree with me, Cormac McCarthy.

I love Slaughterhouse Five -- I read it once a year -- but most of Vonnegut's other stuff hasn't done much for me. I did like his appearance in Back to School.

Also, I'd like to add how refreshing it is to see this discussion here. With all the troll-ridden, fuck me, fuck you crap taking place here at SportsJournalists.com over the past month or so, it's a nice reminder that there are intelligent people around. [/climbingdownfromhighhorse]

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Shit, good call on McCarthy, John. His stuff is amazing. And HST doesn't merit in this conversation, because he dealt almost entirely in literary nonfiction.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

F--- you. There, I feel better.

8. Re: Vonnegut's standing

You good folks really have to stop this. You're making Nathanael West cry and cry.

9. Dedo

Dedo Member

Just throwing this out there, but does anyone think Larry McMurtry will ever belong in this discussion?

10. The Big Ragu

John, I love Vonnegut's work, but I agree with you. He is not on par with those names. By the way, you'd have include Melville on that list for sure, and possibly Nathaniel Hawthorne (a definite yes, if I am voting). I can't imagine what it would take to get me to read any Melville now, but still.

11. The Big Ragu

Irish, How perfect is it that I can't stand Steinbeck's novels? It isn't an academic thing. I just find them unreadable. I also understand why others disagree and would include him on the list. I always feel like I read a 40-page account of an ant climbing over a sidewalk crack.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good question. I love him. Like Vonnegut, when I read his books, I wish he was happier about life. Not sure he is in the Hall of Fame, though.

He's more of a Dale Murphy type. Love him but don't vote for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted