1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Volleyball player acts as designated driver, gets suspended

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 14, 2013.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Agree with everything doctorquant. That he posts it as a 33% or better chance that the girl is telling the unvarnished truth is why I am betting it's not. Good odds!

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

A) I reread the story and didn't see ONE WORD about a student signing a contract and B) sometimes heroes break things like clauses in contracts for the greater good. It doesn't mean you publicly shame them.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I don't know this for sure, but it could be a school contract. If that is the only one she signed, great, off the hook. If there is another that states you can be in the presence of alcohol (at least one HS does it near me), then sorry. But again, where are the reporters on getting the side of the school. Meanwhile, the season goes on as scheduled.

4. NDJournalist

Why hasn't anybody done a story, then, on how these kids are FORCED to sign these contracts to play?

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Good idea. Get on that. Let me know how it goes.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Just remember ... if there's only a 1/3rd chance she's telling the truth, and time upon time you came to the same decision, one out of three students you punish will be punished unjustly.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Again, the assumption of guilt when what little evidence there is, suggests the exact opposite.

Also, we've had this false premise before and it is still bullshit. There is a significant difference in how a parent should handle things with their child and how a school district should handle things with a student.

As a parent, of course I would question my kid in this situation, but I would know a lot more about who she is and what she is likely to do than any of us reading this story know about the girl in it. I would hopefully have the opportunity to ask the police a question or two as well. That would be a relatively informed opinion, unlike the one you and TSP are throwing around.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No. It isn't. Comparing the NFL to a high school policy is ridiculous on many levels, not the least of which is we are dealing with underage drinking in the case of the high school kids. (Though apparently not in the case of the girl the story is about.)

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But whatever her story is, she was in violation of the rule. I'm not normally a big "rules is rules" guy, but you and I both know what kind of creativity teenagers can exercise when it comes to getting themselves out of trouble. There would be a plausible explanation for almost everything that you want decided on a case-by-case basis.

10. NDJournalist

THE COPS CLEARED HER.

She therefore, WASN'T DRUNK. You can't just assume what she was going there to do, either. Maybe she was going to drink. Kids do. Maybe she wasn't. Some kids don't. But you don't know. And I don't think she should be suspended either way, as long as she had reliable sober transportation.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

True. I am speaking as a gambler, though. Would have a different decision-making process otherwise.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

As stupid as I think the rules are, I don't even think she violated them. What I've heard you saying is that, since it's reasonable to infer that she intended to violate the rules, she should be punished just the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted