1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voices in music that irritate you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheWritingWaffle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned before, Nickelback's Chad Kroeger just has the most irritating voice to my ears.

And the female version might be Rihanna, in that horrible "cake-cake-cake-cake" song that isn't actually about eating cake.

And it's not even my birthday!

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Natalie Maines. I like the Dixie Chicks, but her voice can really irritate me. Especially on the more up-tempo songs.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The lead singer for AC/DC. I get a sore throat every time I hear "You Shook Me All Night Long".

Most of the Popera singers, especially Sarah Brightman and Paul Potts. Blech.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't hate Adele's voice. I just don't like the songs, and I'm sick of hearing them.
    It's a saturation problem rather than any inherent problem with her voice.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Oh, shit. I can't believe I forgot this person.

I know she's talented, blah blah blah, but I cannot STAND Natalie Merchant's voice. I have to change the radio as soon as I hear a 10000 Maniacs song.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Care Bear, your Wonka's facing the wrong way. This can't be the first time you've heard that.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Funny ... Mrs. Coco's in the same boat. And for a while there, WXRT -- a great Chicago radio station -- seemed to play the "Carnival" song every time we turned on the car radio.

So I'd flip it over to "the Blaze" [/outdated Chicago radio commentary]

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Wow. Consider yourself lucky.
    I don't listen to pop music and I still hear 'Set Fire to the Rain' 27 times per week.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, Alicia Keys is beautiful, but her voice bugs me.
    Luckily, I haven't heard one of her song in more than a year, but in the previous office in which they had me working she was in twice daily rotation.

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

You think Brian Johnson's voice was bad then, you ought to hear it now.
    Most bands I despise have singers who make me cringe - Green Day, System of a Down top that list. They're an automatic turn of the dial. No waiting necessary.
    All this does is make me think of Russ Ballard and "Voices."

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nina Hagen's voice is my shower water. In that she sounds like the water schreeching through the shower head

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

System of a Down is a great call. I think I would like their music with a different singer. I love Billie Joe Armstrong's voice for pop-punk, though.

Aside: Has anyone heard the new Offspring song, "Days Go By"? I bring it up because it reminds me of 1990s Green Day more than 1990s Offspring. It's probably the best new song I've heard lately on modern rock radio:

Draft saved Draft deleted