1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voices in music that irritate you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheWritingWaffle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Watch out. Pride cometh before the fall.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

But I'm not necessarily talking 'God" like they do in church. Maybe God is just a name for the highest things we are capable of. Mozart as a human being was a ridiculous and petty little creature but he turned out this work that is, to me, literally perfect.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it would make for a fascinating debate, albeit one that might be hard to have amid dick jokes, concern jacks, Client riffs and flame wars about PEDs and salary caps. From the perspective you're talking about, citing God's existence in instances of rare artistic genius is kind of a cop out. Instead of working harder to explain why it moves us so deeply, we cite the powers of a higher power and call it good. Are we not capable of amazing things without chalking it up to divine magic?

On the other hand, how do you accurately describe the power of the moment when you first hear a song and it gives you goosebumps? Or explain why you're rendered speechless by the smile of a beautiful woman? It seems science, or rationality, will never be able to explain the special power of those moments.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That's what phenomenology is for.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In those moments, we see ourselves. The art we love most is generally the art we relate to most, the art that we feel is in our souls, better captured by a more talented kindred spirit. It's all, in my opinion, distinctly human.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Felt the same way the first time I heard "Fuck Like A Beast" by WASP.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Having that conversation among dick jokes and topic shifts is inherently human.
    You can't idealize the context.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

See. This is why I love you. :)

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'd be all for a Client concern jack

Draft saved Draft deleted