1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Voice of the Razorbacks killed in car accident

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl2, Aug 1, 2006.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I worked in the newsroom at WSMV on the weekends while in college in 1976-77 ... Eels will also be greatly mourned in Nashville as well ...

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Wow, that's awful news. He was a good guy to deal with and by all accounts I've read a good person in the community as well. RIP.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This hurts twice, because I've met Paul Eells numerous times and he was a really nice guy in an industry full of dickheads.

But I also knew the woman who was killed. She coached my stepdaughter's 8-and-under softball team, and her husband strung for our paper. Double damn.

I've not talked to them in about 6 1/2 years, but this really, really sucks.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Man, this sucks.

Like most of you, I didn't know him well but I had met him a few times. Very sad day.

5. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

A really cool dude. We did a big package on announcers a few years ago. Our guy couldn't stop talking about how accommodating the Paul was.

RIP.

6. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I used to be SID at one of the other colleges in Arkansas, and Paul always treated me like I worked for the big State U. He was a gracious, gracious man.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's sad, but I wonder how many people will express their sympathies for Paul Eells without feeling a tinge of sympathy for the driver of the other car, who apparently was doing nothing but driving along when Paul Eells' car veered over the median and smacked hers head-on. In the posts here and on the web sites where the articles came from, I've seen one post mention her.

8. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

Hands down the nicest person I've ever met. And it was genuine.

It didn't matter if you were the head football coach, a snot nosed writer from the Weekly Reader or a buck-toothed fan from East BFE, Paul went out of his way to treat you well.

If there was ever a man who could have had an ego it was Paul, but he was one of he most warm, caring and humble men I've ever known.

I doubt there is a single person who has come in contact with Paul - professionally or otherwise - that could say differently. That is a most uncommon occurrence in this business and this world today.

Paul was a true professional and a great friend to many, many people.

Prayers go out to all the families involved in this accident. And in Paul's case, his extended family throuhgout the state of Arkansas.

"Touchdown, Arkansas! Oh My!"

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And in Tennessee, as HHenry points out. Lots of sports fans in Middle Tennessee came of age listening to Paul and Charly Mac.

Prayers for both families involved.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

TSP, I think that's the natural reaction because they knew Eells and not the other person involved.

11. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I almost thought TSP's post was a joke. I guess it wasn't.

I don't remember seeing anyone clowning the other driver. Are we supposed to have a thread on every person who dies in America?

12. Rainer_Sabin

Rainer_Sabin New Member

I was very upset when I heard the news that Paul had passed away. He was unequivocally the nicest and most genuine person I have come across in the business. There was no pretense about him. In a field where civility and friendliness are rarely seen, Paul never deviated from his true character. He was always upbeat and went out of his way to give you his regards, when it should have been you that took the time to say hello to him.

For Arkansans who follow the Razorbacks, Paul was the equivalent of Vin Scully for Dogers fans. He was a product of an era that has long since passed us by — when broadcasters became synonomous with the teams they covered. He sometimes had problems with the downs and distance when he was doing play-by-play, but there was something endearing about that. For those who have watched Phil Rizzuto do a Yankees telecast, you know what I mean.

It's a sad day in Arkansas. The state lost a truly great person. And it's a terrible shame that another life was taken in the accident. The whole thing is tragic. I think everybody feels that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted