1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vlad.....Best Active OF HOF'er?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jul 23, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If a guy has a case to be one of the top 20 all-time at his position, he's got a HOF case. He doesn't automatically get in, but it's not ridiculous to discuss it.

He won't get in, spnited, because some baseball voters get off on the idea of keeping everyone they can out of the HOF. I agree he probably won't get in. But he should be in the discussion.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'll take Carter 365 days out of every year.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Rick, try reading more carefully. Of course you make comparisons as a way of measuring the player's merit, but you don't put a guy in just to get another catcher in. That is truly ridiculous.

4. RickStain

Fair enough.

5. RickStain

What was he better at than Posada?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

For one thing, Carter was better compared to his contemporaries than Posada was compared to his.

That said, you have to watch the comparisons as a measure of a player or you end up putting in every second baseman who is better than Bill Mazeroski.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Better power, better defensively, better all-around player.

8. RickStain

No, yes, and too vague to debate one way or the other.

Posada averaged 9 more doubles and 3 more home runs per 162.

Carter was also more durable, though, playing more games per year.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Posada also is notoriously bad at blocling balls, has had far more passed balls, doesn't block the plate well because he does not like contact and has had a number of pitchers complain about his game-calling.
    Oh, and Carter has a higher caught stealing percentage.

Average per 162 is insignificant unless you play the whole 162 every year.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If every position needs to be represented equally, does this mean David Ortiz gets in on the first ballot? Because he's esentially a lifetime DH, and there certainly aren't 20 of those in the HOF.

11. RickStain

No. For several obvious reasons.

1) The reason that position influences player value is that each position can only select from the population of players who can play the position at a minimally acceptable level defensively. That's why a good hitter at SS is rarer, and more valuable, than the same hitter at 1b. Since that doesn't apply to DH, there won't be a tendency for the relative value of the top players at that position to even out in value.

2) DH hasn't been around long enough to even out with the other positions. If point 1 weren't true, you could make a case that DH should have roughly the same number of inductees as other positions since it came into the league (divided by two, because only one league has it).

12. RickStain

Which is why I agreed that Carter is better defensively.

I figured using a per PA rate would blow your mind, so I wanted to keep it simple. I agree that Carter is better, I just suspected you believed so for some of the wrong reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted