1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vlad.....Best Active OF HOF'er?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jul 23, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Football_Bat, he has always made mistakes by being too aggressive on the basepaths. He once got caught stealing 20 times. But he certainly isn't costing himself the Hall of Fame by doing it.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Posada has had a nice career. Not a Hall of Fame career, but a nice one.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They probably would have, but Vlad really didn't want to play in New York. He was afraid of the pressure.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

You answered your own question. Yes, if he is hit by a bus on the way to the park today and never plays again, he's in.

Although he hasn't had power, everything else in his game is HOF all the way.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For a 162-game season, I would take Vlad and it is not even close.

For a seven-game series, I would take Manny and it is not even close.

If Vlad can pitch set up for Rivera for the Yanks against Boston, then you can say that. Free swingers, I think, hurt you in the playoffs. Example, Soriano.

Posada is in. Ich is in and bringing it up discredits this great player.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Baron, what exactly are you basing that on? Guesswork or did Guerrero ever actually say anything about New York?

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Posada is in? What have you been drinking?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1608256

In the article:

"Everyone who knows him, without exception, says he would have zero interest in playing in New York, or any major high-pressure media center. So without the Yankees out there to drive the price, virtually no free agent -- even this one -- gets market-breaking dollars.

"My sole concern," says the same agent, "would be the place that he chooses to play. The best type of team for him, in my considered opinion, would be in a midsized market with a strong fan base, and with a club that recognizes that Vlad needs to be embraced and made comfortable." "

Vlad also had a reputation of not speaking to the (few) media in Montreal. Part of that was because he wasn't comfortable speaking English. The other part was that he didn't like being criticized for his fielding.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I agree, but I can see him getting in. Solid numbers for a catcher, a long and productive career at a tough position, the Yankee tie-in and five (at least) World Series rings. He'll be riding the coattails of Jeter and Rivera, for sure, but I can definitely see him getting in at some point.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Posada will get in by paying $20 at the door. No other way.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The HOF would be so much cooler if we could just remove all the players from it, and never let anyone new in.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you honestly believe, Rick, that Jorge Posada belongs in the Hall of Fame?

Draft saved Draft deleted