1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vitale kiss 'no laughing matter'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 17, 2015.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

http://mic.com/articles/113226/forg...oward-girls-and-women-is-what-can-kiss-my-ass

I thought this was an extremely compelling read from Ashley Judd. Some of the tweets she is talking about were disgusting.

The whole Kentucky superfan thing makes me roll my eyes, but aside from that she seems like a really cool woman.

Not humorless -- she was graceful about the big deal people made about Dick Vitale. But very willing to speak up about the thing that should actually be getting the attention instead of the Dick Vitale silliness. The Internet has really brought out the worst in a lot of people. Forget the double standard some people have in how they will act toward a woman rather than a man. Actually, don't forget it. It is the point. But how can anyone say some of the things people tweeted at her to ANYONE and still look at themselves in the mirror?

Amy and FileNotFound like this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Tell me again why Twitter is so useful and valuable?

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You know the answer to that.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Professionally, I get it. There are a lot of ways to engage readers/customers/what have you and increase awareness on Twitter.

Personally, I don't get it. I've never been on Twitter and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything except additional hate and vitriol. There is nothing on Twitter I can't find/get by other means.

5. MisterCreosote

It's a cesspool either way, IMO.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It says a lot that she has the craziest college basketball fans in the country on her side and it's still that bad.

If she was a Louisville fan, she'd probably have to fear for her life.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The thing about Twitter is, it can be very useful and valuable without the user posting a thing. Now, that obviously wouldn't work for celebrities trying to enhance their brand or whatever.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't even care if people attack me on Twitter (and I have been attacked by UK fans plenty) but at least say something relevant to what I posted or clever.

Calling someone a child rapist or threaening to attack a woman is just mean, dumb and boring.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Isn't mean, dumb and boring the vast majority of Twitter users?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not at all. There are a whole lot of Spambots, too.

Actually, Twitter is a pretty great way to keep up with what's going on.

FileNotFound likes this.
  11. MisterCreosote

You can have it.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

As I recall, she did that on her own. Had the hockey jersey made, then the posters and sent them to the hockey team without them knowing..

She'll always be that girl who gets video game googly eyed with Wesley Crusher to me but she's a super fan of Kentucky, no doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted