1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vital mistake by Vitale?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hammer Pants, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It would appear Dicky V. is trying to cover his ass after letting it slip on a Knoxville radio station that Billy D. thinks what anyone with a brain does, that Horford is a better NBA prospect than Noah. I have no idea who to believe, but regardless, Dicky probably shouldn't be running his mouth like that in a public place, even if he didn't know he was on the air.

Good stuff. Link has audio, too.

http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/govols/article/0,1406,KNS_294_5379473,00.html

2. Awesome, baby, with a capital A.

3. Hammer Pants

Vitale quickly added that he would still take Horford about 17th after Oden, Durant, Wright and then all 13 of Duke's scholarship players.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

His big mistake was doing Hooters commercials. Frightening.

5. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Wonder if he'll be suspended from covering the Super Bowl for leaking an off-the-record conversation.

6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

This will be an interesting Tuesday. Bloggers will have a field day with this. That's the great thing about blogs. Five years ago and this happens ... I imagine there's little or no fallout except around Gainsville.

How will ESPN handle it? Will they touch it?

If you're Dickie V, how do you handle this? By saying nothing? Imagine that. The man who ALWAYS has something to say will be rendered speechless.

7. Hammer Pants

I bet he'll try to explain it on the air. I bet ESPN wishes he wouldn't.

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Sounds about right ... but backing up the 'if ESPN doesn't talk about it, it didn't happen' credo, he may just leave it alone.

It's probably selfish of me, but can someone change the title of this to make it more interesting?

Perhaps: Vitale slams Noah, Gators in radio interview (and he didn't even know it)

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Oh snap! Busted on air. I wonder what he really says about Duke in "confidential?"

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My guess is he won't do another Florida game this season, which shouldn't be a big deal because I don't think Sunday's UK-Florida game is on ESPN.

Then, if he's elected to the Hall of Fame, he'll either announce his retirement from color commentary duties or scale back on the amount of games he covers for the next couple years -- in essence, becoming the basketball version of Keith Jackson.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I suspect he'll be on the Tennessee-Florida broadcast on Tuesday. And this is the second goof-up of something like this for ABC/ESPN. Brent Musburger got into some hot water during football season by revealing some confidential stuff with the USC quarterback and their signals.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Musburger flap was overblown. Unless assistant coaches are watching him on TV instead of paying attention to whats on the field.

Draft saved Draft deleted