1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visiting Washington D.C. for the first time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fromthebluegrass, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The first day, you may want to consider taking a trolley tour. You can see many of the sites and get off an on where you want. Also used it to get to Arlington. One stop is Union Station which is worth a visit. It has a cool, old vibe. At least to me.

Other than that, just take the Metro in town. I don't drive in places like D.C. or Chicago.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I so totally agree with you about the Capitol. I used to walk in the front door and roam around, so much of the building was just open to the public. Statues , paintings, ceiling and wall murals were scattered throughout the building, not on the tour. I loved just hanging out in the Old Senate Chambers and the Old Supreme Court Room. It was a history geeks dream. As with all old buildings the farther down you in the center of the building the more interesting.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Was there last year at this time. There's a ton of stuff in the Visitors Center and we actually ran out of time. No one told us at all where to go. As far as just going in ans walking around, I think those days are long, long gone.

The White House Visitors Center also has a lot of neat stuff in it.

If you have a chance, go to the Air & Space Museum at Dulles. Much less crowded than the one on the Mall, and far more planes, etc.

I'd also recommend getting to whichever Smithsonian you most want to visit right when it opens. It was our experience that the school tours that overwhelm those places don't start until noon at least.

Arlington is also a must.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Really? Well, that's sad. I liked the old balcony bar at the Washington.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

A must at Arlington is Tomb of Unknown Soldier for changing of the guard. It will move you like you've never been moved.

On way back go to Kennedy grave - above is General Lee's former home. Stand up there and look down on city and ponder how Lee felt when he found out that he not only lost the war but also one of the nicest pieces of real estate in DC.

Spy Museum is also worth the time to visit.

As someone said if you can get a hold of congressmen and see if you can get private tour of Capital.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am not religious, but the national cathedral is cool.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

/ The Most Interesting Man in The World

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Some good points here, especially about the Tomb of the Unknown. The changing of the guard is something to see.

Headbutt, I liked the National Zoo, but it seemed like every time I went, the white tigers exhibit was always closed or they weren't out, that I started to doubt whether they were there or not. I've been there three times I think now, although it's been 15-20 years since I was last there.

9. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

If you're doing the tour de memorials, don't miss the World War I memorial. Everybody does, including the folks who maintain them. It's a sad tribute to veterans that deserve more respect.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Most cities have caged animals. See the stuff you cannot see where you live.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

All of the Smithsonians are great.
    The capitol is very cool.
    White House and Washington Monument are not as cool.
    Lincoln and Jefferson memorials are cool.
    I don't think much of the Vietnam War Memorial, but I think the Korean War and World War II memorials are very cool.
    Ben's Chili Bowl is a must. We walked there from our hotel in the afternoon and had no problem with the neighborhood.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

One of the coolest things I did in DC was to go see the Constitution just hours after I had taken the oath to protect and defend it joining the Navy. I went at the end of the day and there was no line. I also did a cool twilight bus tour that hit a bunch of the major landmarks, including the Vietnam Memorial at dusk which was chilling.

I'm a geek and I say every time I go to DC that I'm not going to Air and Space, but I do every time. Last time I went out to Dulles, which was cool, but that would eat up a big chunk of time with the commute there and back.

And I've got a byline up in the Newseum, so I'd have to stop by there. The ticket price is pretty absurd, but a friend of mine (who'd been out of the biz for a long time) went and enjoyed it quite a bit. It's got some pretty eclectic stuff with the Unibomber's cabin and the DC snipers' car.

Draft saved Draft deleted