1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Visiting Chicago this spring ... UPDATE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John, Jan 21, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a specific hotel, or at least a general area where I should stay?

Anything else -- places to eat, things to do/see -- would be appreciated, as well.

I'll be traveling solo and I'll be there for five days, so I'm as flexible as I can be on my itinerary.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Re: Visiting Chicago this spring ...

I'll get this out of the way: Real Chicago pizza is the thin-crust kind you get in the neighborhood pizzerias, NOT the stuffed crap (which is good, but it's mostly for unsuspecting tourists). A good chain for thin crust is Home Run Inn.

Anyway, the Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and Field Museum are all together by the lake. They're all worth a visit.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Definitely hit Shedd. It's top shelf.

I assume you want to stay in the city?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What kind of coin do you want to spend on the hotel and such. Downtown fancy-schmanzy or suburban chain? Near the lake, the crowded tollways or (heh heh) southside?
    Where you plan on going might help recommendations; day trips planned perhaps to Milwaukee or (dare we dream?) DeKalb?

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Is there really enough in DeKalb to spend a day? Maybe that could be a DeKalb/Rockford day trip.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I'll be in the city the whole time, unless someone can give me a reason to head elsewhere for a day.

I want to be downtown or in one of the nearby neighborhoods, like Lincoln Park. Other than that, I have no plans at this point. I haven't been to Chicago since I was 12, and the Cubs won't be in town, so I'm up for anything.

I know I'm probably going to have to spend $300 or so a night for some place decent, which is fine since my Visa points will be paying for most of it.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

If you stay in Lincoln Park, go to the zoo.

8. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

You must go to The Art Institute. I believe they have the biggest collection of Impressionist works any place outside of Paris. I am not a big "art fan" but I try to make the Institute whenever I am in Chicago. When you find yourself face to face w/ American Gothic or A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte you will always remeber the moment. But maybe thats just me.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Here's a couple previous threads that might help as well

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/45781/

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/42200/

And I agree with Badger on the Art Institute and disagree with pallister on the deep dish pizza.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Good, more of the good stuff for me.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If you do go to the Field Museum, leave a little extra in the donationbox if you can.

It seems as though they can't even afford to feed their animals anymore.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

Thanks, good stuff in there. Still trying to figure out where to stay, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted